Midlo IB joins forces with The Daily Planet

Midlo IB hosts Schoolwide Supply Drive

Photo by: Midlo IB

The Midlothian High School’s IB Program partners with The Daily Planet to help those in need.

On Wednesdays, December 9 and 16, 2020, the Midlothian High School’s International Baccalaureate Program calls upon their fellow classmates and faculty members to participate in a schoolwide donation drive. In partnership with The Daily Planet Health Services, a Richmond, Virginia-based organization that offers accessible health services to all individuals regardless of their financial situation, the IB students host the initiative to gather supplies for the organization. All donations go towards helping those most vulnerable in the community regarding the devastation left by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Witnessing the severity of the pandemic, those involved in the IB Program felt compelled to take action. They then quickly planned an event to help give back to the community in any way that they could. Organizations such as The Daily Planet have experienced their own set of challenges presented by Covid-19 in both sourcing and maintaining supplies. Without necessary items to carry out their mission of providing healthcare to the less-fortunate, donations represent a vital dependency during these uncertain times. In combination with the material shortage, the hardships accompanying the winter months represent another obstacle to those left without food and shelter who seek out such establishments for assistance. Therefore, donations collected by the IB program hold more importance now than ever.

“We felt it was important to find a way to make sure everyone has access to resources that will keep them clean and safe,”  IB Student Council Secretary Ashlyn Hanson said, recalling the reason the IB Program sought to reach out to the organization in the first place. Primarily caring for the homeless in Richmond, The Daily Planet offers several programs, including Safe Haven and Medical Respite, to aid individuals in getting back on their feet. The organization also provides clothing, shelter, free Covid-19 testing and a number of treatment options. Not to mention, the organization works to extend its efforts to all by including a multilingual staff. However, with their donations dwindling given the current circumstances, the actions of the Midlo community in donating resources can make a tremendous difference in the lives of many living an unstable lifestyle. “It’s important to realize that donating something, big or small, if you can, or simply spreading awareness to issues like this will impact someone’s life. It can open eyes, or make another’s life a little easier. With this Richmond-based organization specifically, acts from our community, like donating, will directly affect our local citizens,” Hanson said.

All who wish to take part may drop off donations between 2:00 and 4:00 p.m. on Dec. 9 and Dec. 16 by way of the Library on Demand program, a curbside operation located in the bus loop next to the student parking lot. By accepting donation items of all types, the Midlo IB Program hopes to effectively support those who need it most in the Richmond community.

Suggested Donation Items (Pre-Packaged Only)

Food Products:

nuts

granola bars

cookies

preserved fruit

individually packaged snacks

Travel Size Hygiene Products:

toothpaste

toothbrush

shampoo and conditioner

soap and body wash

deodorant

disposable razors

wet wipes

plastic combs

Other:

bus cards

men’s t-shirts

socks

freezer bags (quart and gallon size)

men’s underwear

prepaid phone cards

baseball caps