Sophomore Patterson Summers earns 2021 Midlo Student of the Year

Grades 9-10, 2020-21 Midlo Student of the Year: Patterson Summers

Dr.+Abel+and+Ms.+Sapp+surprise+Student+of+the+Year%2C+Patterson+Summers%2C+with+a+balloon+and+a+YETI+cup.+

Photo by: Dr. Abel

Dr. Abel and Ms. Sapp surprise Student of the Year, Patterson Summers, with a balloon and a YETI cup.

Sophomore Patterson Summers is known for his dedication to Midlo as well as his exceptional leadership skills; for these reasons and many more, he was awarded the 2021 grades 9-10 Student of the Year. On May 7, 2021, Summers was interrupted during class with a knock on the door. Dr. Abel and Ms. Sapp were at his house to hand-deliver the SOY award. He describes the event as “a total surprise” and is  “so deeply honored” to have been given this prestigious award. 

Outside of school, Summers can always be found in the pool. His favorite activity is swimming and his favorite place is anywhere near the water. Not only does he volunteer with younger kids, but he also works at SwimRVA and teaches kids how to swim. He is in IB German 5 and a member of the National German Honor Society, Delta Epsilon Phi. At the same time, he is Sophomore Class President and has actively maintained Midlo’s 2023 Instagram account to keep students and faculty up to date. Summers constantly participates in the morning announcement video team and helps out at Midlo events. From organizing multiple beautification days to volunteering Promenade weekend for 11 hours, Summers does it all.

His many hobbies include taking pictures, reading, swimming, doing puzzles, and hanging out with friends. Throughout all of these extracurriculars, Summers upholds stellar grades and is always a joy to be around.    

In class, he is described as “constantly asking questions,” “always being positive,” as well as providing “responses to his classmates.” During Midlo Morning, he can be found in his teacher’s Google Meets “diving deeper into the information” or just chatting “about how life is going during the pandemic.” Summers is always a role model student, eager to help others and participate with a smile. 

When he was younger, Summers’ goal was to be President of the United States, but now he is considering a future career in law. Furthermore, throughout college, he hopes to be a swim coach or teach kids to swim. Whether it’s through being the POTUS or growing up to become a Swim Coach, Summers will, undoubtedly, change the world just like he has changed Midlo for the better. 

Check out more about Patterson Summers in 21 questions or his Student of the Month Story.

Congratulations Patterson Summers!