Tennis seniors say goodbye to the court

Midlo Tennis Senior Night 2021

Photo by: Zinzi Symister
Midlo Girls Tennis Senior Night 2021

On March 10, 2021, the Midlo Girls Tennis team celebrated their 2021 Senior Night. The four seniors were celebrated with posters, balloons, and pizza. These seniors include: Lauren Deaver, Lily Anderson, Ella Schuetzinger, and Zinzi Symister. At the last match of the season the Midlo Boys Tennis team was celebrated after having won Region 5B Runner Up.  These seniors include: Hunter Krebs, Joseph Hecht, Jackson Abel and Joey Keating. 

Girls Tennis Class of 2021:   

Lauren Deaver made the Girls Varsity team her freshman year, while her older sister Julia served as captain. As a senior, Deaver serves as a captain. She eventually worked her way up the lineup and currently is #3. In the fall, Deaver will attend the University of Virginia.

Lily Anderson picked up a racquet for the first time in elementary school. During high school, she would later try out for the tennis team. After a year on the B-squad, Anderson moved her way onto the team. This year she holds the spot of #5 and captain. Later this year, Anderson will attend Brigham Young University where she plans to study early childhood education.

Ella Schuetzinger, known for her topspin and ball speed, made the team her freshman year. Schuetzinger proved herself a key player on the team. During her sophomore year, she held the position. Schuetzinger will call Harrisonburg home for the next four years as she prepares to study business or fashion at James Madison University.

Zinzi Symister went out for the tennis team her freshman year. Starting off the B-squad, she worked to hold a placement on the team. Symister will attend the University of Virginia where she plans to major in politics. 

Boys Tennis Class of 2021:

Hunter Krebs made the Boys Tennis team in the spring season of his senior year. He wanted to do this extracurricular with his group of friends before he left high school. After high school, Krebs will attend John Tyler Community College.

Joey Keating has played tennis for the majority of his life. As a freshman, he made the varsity team. As a senior, he serves as a captain. In the fall, Keating will attend Virginia Tech.

Jackson Abel joined the Midlo Boys Tennis team during his freshman year. For the past four years, he had worked to be a part of the line-up. At a match against the Manchester Lancers, Abel played #1. In the fall, he will attend St. Bonaventure University in New York. 

Joseph Hecht made the decision to try out for boys tennis during his senior year. Although the season was short, Hecht connected with many players this season. In the fall, he will attend John Tyler Community College with hopes to later transfer to a four-year university.