Out of the loop? Get the scoop!

Out of the loop? Get the scoop!

Out of the loop? Get the scoop!

Girls’ Lacrosse Goes Into Powhatan Game Undefeated

Girls’ Varsity Lacrosse Preview
Midfielder Grace Burke reaches for the ball during the game against James River

The Midlo girls’ Varsity lacrosse team will play the Powhatan Indians on Wednesday, April 17, at Powhatan High School. Both teams are undefeated so far this season, meaning that this game will be a crucial one.

“I think it’ll be one of the tougher teams we’re playing this season,” midfielder Aylin Underwood said about the game. “We both have really good teams and really good motion.”

One of Powhatan’s players is already committed to Mercer, and another of their players is committed to Eastern Carolina, both of which have big D1 lacrosse teams. “They definitely have very strong players,” midfielder Grace Burke said about Powhatan’s team.

“We just need to stay strong on the defensive end,” goalie Olivia Owings said. “Definitely working together offensively so we can score more, and definitely work more on transitions — getting the ball down from the defensive end to the offensive end. It’s really important to just keep calm and work together.”

Working together has definitely been a theme among the Trojans this year. “We’ve really embraced the family aspect this year, and I feel like that has really helped us win all of our games,” Underwood said. 

Coach Emily Bikowski also commented on the teamwork and communication skills of the players. “The girls have worked hard to build a positive team culture characterized by mutual respect, encouragement, and support,” Bikowski said.

Burke also commented on how well the team worked together. “We all just work together really well, and then at practice we all really try and put in an effort,” Burke said. Burke, a freshman, is the leading scorer so far this season with an average of over 6 goals per game. “Grace has a natural grace and instinct that allows her to find the back of the net on a regular basis,” Bikowski said.

The effort the Trojans have been putting in certainly shows. They are averaging 16 goals per game, and they’re ranked first in the district. Part of the reason for their success has been their goalie, Olivia Owings, who currently has the highest save percentage in Virginia. 

“Olivia is a skilled and versatile athlete who plays a pivotal role in the team’s defense,” Bikowski said. “She is also surrounded by a defense that has worked hard this year to come together and elevate their game.”

The game against Powhatan will be an important one as only one team will be able to walk away undefeated. Powhatan is currently ranked second in the district behind Midlothian, making the matchup between these two top-ranked teams very important. 

“Honestly, we are just going to play our game, go into the game with confidence and a little swagger, knowing we belong on the same field with top competition,” Bikowski said.