Campbell commits to JMU

Abbie Campbell signs to James Madison University

Abbie+Campbell+signs+to+play+softball+at+James+Madison+University.+

Photo by: Abbie Campbell

Abbie Campbell signs to play softball at James Madison University.

Senior Abbie Campbell has spent the majority of her life on the softball field. Inspired by her father, Todd, who played baseball at VCU and introduced her to the sport, Campbell fell in love with softball at a young age. Traveling across state lines weekend after weekend, the excitement of tournaments never ceased. A decade of hard work paid off, when Campbell officially signed to play softball at James Madison University. The journey to reach the collegiate level did not come easily. Blood, sweat, tears, and hours of training have gone into this moment. Campbell’s family played a pivotal role in getting her to this spot, as well as Coach Chad Radcliffe, who assisted her in the recruiting process by offering a wealth of knowledge and support. 

Over the years, Campbell has played for Chesterfield Impulse, Williamsburg Starz Gold, and the Hanover Hornets. All teams have pushed her as a player and brought out a new set of skills. Campbell has played on the Midlothian High School Varsity Softball team throughout high school. As an underclassman on the varsity team, she watched the older girls lead the team with confidence and humility. This spring, she hopes to lead the team to the championship, as a 2020-2021 captain. During the early stages of the COVID-19 lockdown, Campbell took advantage of the down time to train harder.

Next fall, Campbell will continue her academic and athletic career at JMU. This Division I school offers a plethora of sports and majors. Campbell plans to find her passion in a health science field. Campbell settled on JMU because “it is a beautiful campus in the mountains with a lot of nice people. The softball program is amazing, and the coaches are so nice and care about everyone. A plus is that it isn’t too far from home.”

Cassie Grizzard, a teammate of Campbell, remarks, “ Abbie is always pushing the people around her to be the best they can be. She works hard and is always there for her teammates.” Although the high school spring season will look different because of the pandemic, Campbell is excited for what future has in store. While at JMU, Campbell is prepared to work even harder to perfect her craft. 

Congratulations, Abbie Campbell!