Midlo multiplies the math department

New Teacher Spotlights: Math Department

Photo by: Bridget Tracy
Midlo welcomes new math teachers for the 2021-2022 school year.

Midlothian High School welcomed four new Math teachers into the building for the 2021-22 school year. The new additions to the Midlo community include: Mr. Salvatore Brusco, Mr. Robert Vincente, Ms. Abbey Buschy and Mr. Timothy Jackson

Mr. Salvatore Brusco is a graduate from Penn State where he studied computer science. He later received his Bachelor of Science in Mathematics Education from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. After a few years of teaching, he attended Duquesne University to get his Master’s of Science in Computational Mathematics and Statistics.

The 2021-2022 school year represents Brusco’s first year teaching at Midlothian, but his eighth year in education overall. For the last seven years, he has taught both seventh and eighth grade at Geibel Catholic Junior-Senior High School where he served as the head of the Math Department. Brusco has been taught Technology, Geometry, Calculus, Introduction to Programming, Engineering and Probability & Statistics. Some of the courses he will be teaching this year include DE Precalculus, Trigonometry with Advanced Algebra and Data Analysis. All in all, Brusco is looking forward to starting his new journey this year at Midlo!

Hobbies: Performing maintenance on his car, hosting board game nights, watching movies, and catching Pokemon

Mr. Robert Vicente teaches Geometry and Algebra 1 at Midlothian High School. Vicente has been a teacher for twenty-two years, teaching previously in the Philippines for nineteen years and teaching Algebra 1 and Geometry at Carver Middle School for four.

While in the Philippines, Vicente graduated from Laguna College of Business and Arts, but continued his education in the United States at Lehman College and Virginia State University. Through all of his years of education, he has earned a Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science with a minor in Mathematics.

Hoping to “develop students’ critical thinking skills [and] motivate students’ minds in mathematical thinking,” Mr. Vicente will be a powerful asset to the school’s math department for years to come.

Hobbies: Listening to podcasts, reading, cooking, and going to the gym

As a graduate of James Madison University, Ms. Abby Buschy received her B.S. in Mathematics and her M.A.T. in Secondary Teaching.

This will be Bushy’s first year teaching in conjunction with her previous training experience as a student teacher in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Eager to join all facets of the Midlo community, Buschy will not only serve as a Geometry teacher, but she is also taking on the coaching position for the Trojan swim team.

In her spare time, Buschy enjoys spending time with family and friends, watching movies, playing games and cheering on JMU athletics. 

Hobbies: Cooking and dancing

Mr. Timothy Jackson earned his B.S. in Mathematics with minors in Economics and Secondary  Education from Lynchburg College. Jackson has been teaching for twelve years, teaching previously at Patrick Henry High School in Hanover County and a school in the south-side of Virginia. Currently, Jackson teaches Algebra Fanatics and Data Analysis here at Midlo, offering students a new perspective into the world of math.

Jackson looks forward to getting more involved in the Midlo community, such as attending sporting events and taking part in school activities throughout the year. Not to mention, he is a fan of Panic! At the Disco and is a lover of all things horror. 

Hobbies: Playing video games and traveling

Welcome to Midlo, Mr. Brusco, Mr. Vincente, Ms. Buschy and Mr. Jackson!