News from Midlo College & Career Center

News from the College & Career Center

From the Career Center:

As the end of the year approaches, many families with seniors are talking about “what’s next.”  For some, 2 or 4 year college is in the plans; and, for others, full-time employment or the military is the preferred direction.  To assist with some of these conversations, we have some resources to share:

• Financial Aid Workshop on Tuesday, December 3 @ 7 pm in the MHS Library.  Presented by Belinda Hill, Financial Aid officer from the University of Richmond, this free informational program describes how colleges package financial aid and how to compare packages from different schools.
  • John Tyler CC/GRASP Informational Session on Wednesday, December 11 @ 9 am.  Presented by Heather Taylor, JTCC representative, and Kathy Davis, Midlothian’s GRASP Advisor, this meeting will present an overview of programs available to incoming students and how to access financial aid – in order to attend.  Sign up using the bit.ly/MidloCollegeVisits to receive a pass.
  • Richard Bland College (Virginia’s only 2-year transfer school) is offering free applications through the month of November.  Apply here to receive the waiver and to apply for a non-binding decision.
  • ASVAB Career Exploration Program helps students map out “post-secondary plans that work.”  Resources for college and career planning and prep materials for the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) can be found here.
  • Virginia’s Department of Education supports the national Career Cluster framework for career pathway development.  Learn about designing a course of study and see featured stories of former public school students working in some of the 16 Cluster areas here.   
  • GRASP appointments with Kathy Davis, Midlothian’s GRASP Advisor, are ongoing.  Ms. Davis visits every Wednesday (8:30 – 1:30) to assist with questions about federal financial aid and submission of the FAFSA (the Free Application for Federal Student Aid).  Contact M. Martin in the Career Center to sign up for an appointment.
  • GRASP Saturday Help at the Library: can’t attend a GRASP appointment during the day?  Sign up for a Saturday help session at the Richmond Main Branch Public Library on Saturday, November 23 and Saturday, January 18 (10 – 4).  Call (804) 527-7772 for a FREE appointment. 
  • Midlothian’s Scholarship List is currently very slim.  After the 1st of the year, the list will start to expand.  It’s time to start looking at this list for updates.