Sports Spring Into Season

2019 Spring Sports Preview

Photo by: MaxPixel

Midlo Spring Sports begin the week of March 4, 2019.

Outdoor Track and Field: Midlothian Track and Field looks to continue their winning streak from the indoor season into the outdoor season. The 2019 Indoor Season concluded with the ladies winning the Regional Championships and placing runner up at the 4A Region B State Championship, as well as sending seniors Erin Babashak and Brayden Staib to New Balance Nationals for triple jump and shot put.

After losing outstanding seniors Katie Daniluk, Kyle Daniluk, BJ Beckwith, Addison Sanders, Eva Johnson, and Ashlyn Ferguson, the team looks to hold up the title of last season. Leading the team this year includes Babashak, sophomore Caroline Bowe, and senior Max Etka. Dedicated coaches Stan Morgan, Dan Ward, and Matthew Hutchings will continue to lead the team on a path of victory. Junior Grace Jackson remarks, “I am looking forward to improving my time and having the team qualify for states this outdoor season.” With intense practices, Midlo’s Outdoor Track and Field Team prepares for yet another prosperous season. They held their first official practice on Monday, February 25, 2019.

Girls Lacrosse: This spring, Midlo Girls Lacrosse welcomes a new varsity coach, Drew Davis, along with a new JV coach, JoAna Smith. After the loss of eight key seniors, including Liv Harriman, Jenna Kyte, and Katie Call, the team looks to use 2019 as a rebuilding year. The roster includes talented players from each grade, who will strengthen the team in the seasons to come. Returning goalie, senior Bryce Naiman, along with defensive senior Megan Wunderlich and senior midfielder Margaux Richie, look to lead the team to yet another successful season as captains. The team plans to practice hard in the coming weeks and prepare to take on tough competition. On Thursday, March 28, the team traveled to a preseason scrimmage against Patrick Henry; this match was an opening to a challenging game schedule. The team brought the intensity, but fell to the Patriots with a score of 12-8. Midlo will rival Western Albermarle on their home field in their first game on March 18, 2019.

Boys Lacrosse: Under the direction of head coach Greg Barnard, Midlo Boys Lacrosse looks to dominate once again this season. The team closed last season with a record of 16-5, making it to the State Semifinals. Even with the loss of standout players David Foster and goalie Casey Joyce, the team maintains a strong line-up for the 2019 season. Following an intense week of tryouts, the 2019 roster includes sophomore, junior, and senior players. This year, senior Bryson Miller looks to lead as a captain. The team aims to dominate rival James River, along with competitive schools, Atlee and Western Albemarle. Senior Will Pomeroy summed up the team’s goal for this season, saying, “We’re in it to win States.” They hope to take the victory their first game, which will take place on March 15, 2019, away versus the Atlee Raiders.

Girls Soccer: This spring, the Midlothian Girls’ Soccer program welcomes new additions to the coaching staff, Katie Venck and Brittany Beckwith, both former players at Midlothian. Although the Trojans lost seven seniors, including Nicole Czyzewski, the team is confident in their young, new roster to build upon the success of last year. The Lady Trojans added fresh and eager sophomores and juniors who hope to add to the team’s depth, as well as one freshman, Layla Shell. One of the new additions is transfer student, Frankie Sperry. Sperry moved to Midlothian from Austin, TX, and exclaims, “[I] am super excited for this season and hope we do well.” Coming off of an 8-6-2 record last year, the Lady Trojans hope to start the season strong against the Jamestown Eagles on Monday, March 11, 2019 away at Warriner Stadium in Williamsburg, VA.

Boys Soccer: The Midlothian High School Boys’ Soccer Program hopes to continue its victorious streak after winning the Region 4 Championship. Although losing several key seniors, including defenders Chase Hebert and Will Brown, the Trojans have added several players who will contribute in the defensive front. The team will look to seniors Bogue Cummings, Davis West, and Carter Averette to secure the midfield and create offensive success. “I am excited for the season to begin, and I think we will go far in the tournament,” states senior Jacob Hendrick. The Trojans will open their 2019 season at home on March 7, 2019, against the Thomas Dale Knights.

Softball: With a change in coaching staff, the Midlothian High Softball Program welcomes Coach Kara Lenhart as the new head coach of the team. Coming off of a 17-11-1 record, the Lady Trojans look to start out strong this year. Losing only two seniorsAmy Goodman and Haley Young, last year, the team will look to returning seniors, Abby White, Maggie McDermott, and Lauren Lingle, to carry and lead the team this season. Lenhart also brought back many young, talented players, such as Abbie Campbell and Cassie Grizzard, who hope to bring up the depth of the team. “I think the freshmen and sophomores will add nicely to the returning team, and I’m excited for the season to begin,” states junior Emily Morrison. The Lady Trojans will start their season at home on March 5, 2019, against the Collegiate Cougars.

Baseball: After a 10-12 2018 season, the Midlothian High School Baseball team plan to bounce back this year and obtain a winning record. Under the leadership of second-year coach, Brad Chambers, the Trojans will look to their returning seniors: Logan Smith, Camdton Furman, Evan Heine, and JP Jarratt, to lead the team to a successful season, along with several returning players, such as juniors Christian Chambers and Hunter Beck, and sophomores Carter Lovasz, Kyle Haines, and Zach Vanderslice.   “I am excited for the season, and I hope we make it to States,” shares senior Logan Smith. The Trojans will start their season on Saturday, March 9, 2019, away against the Benedictine Cadets

Girls Tennis: Midlothian Girls Tennis comes back this season in full swing. Returning players, senior Ashley Peterson and junior Olivia Clarke, step up as captains for the 2019 season. Clarke explains that the team’s main goal for 2019 is “to make it to States.” The team this year will look to returning varsity players, Zoe Kopidis and Abbey Lynch, to guide the team and win several matches. Under the direction of Coach Ben Pomeroy, the team holds practices every day to prepare for their first match on Monday, March 11, away against the Grafton Clippers.

Boys Tennis: For the 2019 season, Midlothian Boys Tennis welcomes new coach, Darryl Wilbert. Standout athlete Jack Williams explains that he “looks forward to the development of the team.” This year, the team will look to varsity returners, Jackson Walworth, Joey Keating, and Jacob Truini, to vocally lead the team and, hopefully, make it to the State Tournament.  The team works to improve their game each day to prepare for the upcoming season. The first match will take place on their home court against the Grafton Clippers, on Monday, March 11, 2019.