A Flag Raised for Awareness

Freedom Flag Raising Ceremony: September 11, 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Flag Raised for Awareness

Participants observe a moment of silence for the lives lost during the 9/11 attacks.

Photo by: Madison McCallum

Photo by: Madison McCallum

Photo by: Madison McCallum

On September 11, 2001, disaster struck at New York’s World Trade Center through a coordinated terrorist attack by an extreme terrorist group. After two U.S. airliners crashed, both towers collapsed, killing thousands of innocent civilians. Among the 2,996 civilians killed in the attack was Midlothian High School Class of 1992 student Doug Ketchum. In an effort to honor the lives lost during the attacks, including Ketchum’s, a community member approached the school and discussed ways to memorialize the event.

Assistant Principal Mr. Robert Gifford and history teacher Mr. Timothy Johnson helped establish the Freedom Flag, in recognition of freedom. Both staff members hosted a Freedom Flag Raising Ceremony on Tuesday, September 11, 2018. The ceremony was open to anyone who wanted to attend, including parents. As the flag was raised, Mr. Johnson and senior Zane Ruzicka took turns reading the different symbols on the flag. Immediately after, everyone at the ceremony observed a moment of silence to honor the lives lost in the 9/11 attacks.

Midlothian was not the only community to observe this moving memorial; in fact, a Freedom Flag raising ceremony took place at the Governor’s Mansion. The strong support for the Freedom Flag around the state inspires Mr. Gifford in “trying to build something and bring support in a positive way.” He elaborates, “My goal is to honor, support, and work with the Freedom Flag Foundation. I want to make it as respectful as possible, while bringing recognition of an important time in history.”  Midlothian High social studies teachers described how because many high school students were born after the attacks, it is important now to raise awareness for the next generation.

Students interested in learning about or supporting the Freedom Flag, may see Mr. Gifford in the main office for more information.

About the Writer
Nabiha Rais, Copy Editor

Nabiha Rais, Class of 2019

• A Flag Raised for Awareness

Botello Commits to Belmont Abbey

• A Flag Raised for Awareness

Midlo Men’s Swim Emerges as Regional Champs; 200 Free Relay Team Claims State Championship

• A Flag Raised for Awareness

Performing Arts

Midlo Show Choir Hosts Night of Stars

• A Flag Raised for Awareness

Midlo Library

Creativity Comes Alive in the Midlo Library

• A Flag Raised for Awareness

Indoor Track Conquers Regionals

• A Flag Raised for Awareness

A & E

The Curious Incident Opens Eyes and Hearts

• A Flag Raised for Awareness

Spotlights

Marisa Takes on Manhattan

• A Flag Raised for Awareness

Midlo Community

Knock Out Pins & Cancer at Strike Out Cancer

• A Flag Raised for Awareness

Spotlights

RVA Performs Handstands for Pancreatic Cancer

• A Flag Raised for Awareness

Elite Midlo Athletes Sign National Letters of Intent

A Flag Raised for Awareness