Changing the Face of Cancer Care

Junior Maggie McDermott Raises Cancer Awareness

Maggie McDermott spends her day with LLS sufferers, Savanna and Campbell.

On Saturday, February 3, 2018,  junior Maggie McDermott spent the day with cancer survivors at a kickoff party to raise awareness for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS), an organization that works to not only find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease, and myeloma, but also to improve the quality of life and treatment conditions for both patients and families. In America, one person is diagnosed with a blood cancer every three minutes. LLS is the leading source of free blood cancer information, education, and support for those affected. They also advocate for blood cancer survivors, as well as their families, and provide a loud voice for blood cancer patients to ensure that they are heard.

While fundraising and bringing awareness to this important cause on Saturday, McDermott also met with two brave middle schoolers, who are battling cancer with the help of LLS. “While these two girls look perfectly healthy now, a few years ago, they were diagnosed with these horrendous diseases,” McDermott explained. Because of the donations received by the society, both girls were able to go into rehabilitation and now return to their everyday lives. These middle schoolers are just two of the countless men, women, and children whose lives have been changed for the better by LLS.

Currently, McDermott is participating in the 2018 Students of the Year program, a seven week initiative hosted by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in which high school students across the nation compete to raise the most money for LLS. Every dollar raised counts as one vote for candidates, and the student who raises the most money wins the title of Student of the Year.

McDermott is part of a team organized by junior Lauren Hensley called #BeTheChange team. Their mission is to raise $50,000 for LLS from February 4th to March 24th, with the hopes that they will surpass their goal before the end of March. To donate to this important cause or receive more information about McDermott’s Students of the Year initiative, click here.