Out of the loop? Get the scoop!

Out of the loop? Get the scoop!

Out of the loop? Get the scoop!

Homework Helpers

Homework Helpers

For the past few years, Midlo has had an active branch of the Homework Helpers program. Students volunteer to show up every Monday after school to assist elementary students with homework and build their confidence in school. Matthew Nuckols, 12, and Nate Williams, 11 are both mentors and share their experience. “It’s out in Bon Air at a church, and we work one on one with kids who struggle a little bit more in school. They come from less fortunate areas, and we’ll help them get their homework done and help them study for tests, strengthening them in the area’s that they are weaker in,” Nuckols said. They focus on multiple areas, as well as focusing on what they most need. “We read a ton. We got through a bunch of books. I can tell he enjoys it so it will stick with him,” Williams said. The elementary students aren’t the only ones that benefit from the experience, however. The opportunity gives the high school tutors a chance to give back to the community, as well as earning volunteer hours and experience. “It’s a good opportunity for community service and you learn a lot and can grow as a person from helping people that might need it,” Williams said. “I like being able to give back. Especially my kid, he’s honestly a little bit goofy too. It’s nice just to spend some time with him and all the other kids,” Nuckols said. It also helps the mentors build skills within themselves, through creating bonds with their mentees and figuring out how to teach and work with them. “It taught me about myself, because I didn’t think I could really connect and build a connection with kids that can be a little misunderstood at times,” Williams said. The Homework Helpers program runs all year, with three sessions per school year. “I think that if somebody’s looking for community service this is a great opportunity to give back to the community and connect with kids you might not normally be around,” Nuckols said. 

If interested please contact Zac Collins through Stony Point Church or contact the front office if interested in applying.