Student Class Officers spread holiday cheer

Cookies and Cocoa 2021

Photo by: Lauren Cassano
SCA gifts cookie bundles to the CCPS bus drivers who work hard each and every day.

In the spirit of the season, Student Class Officers from each grade level came together for the annual “Cookies and Cocoa” initiative on Wednesday morning, December 15, 2021. The operation focused on giving back to the school’s vast support staff who represent a core part of the Midlo community. 

In preparation for the event, students met in the library on Tuesday afternoon to assemble over one hundred cookie bags, as well as set up the fixings for the hot chocolate stand to be placed on the bus loop for incoming bus drivers. Every officer contributed by bringing in a wide range of pre-made cookies, which added up to be about six hundred delicious treats. From seasonal flavors, including gingerbread and snickerdoodle, to classic delights, the assorted batch was sure to please taste buds of all kinds. Once all of the cookies were sorted into festive bags, a note from the officers was placed inside and then set aside to be distributed the following day.

This year the initiative was spearheaded by freshman class co-sponsor Mr. Holden Dorman. He felt compelled to give back to the support staff “who help both the teachers and students everyday. Without bus drivers, the students would not get to school. Without the cafeteria workers, students would not get lunch. And without the day porters, the school would not look as it does,” Dorman said. “That is why it is so important to recognize them for their efforts!”

When the day finally came to hand-deliver the cookie-filled bags, the class officers gathered at 7:30 A.M. sharp prior to the start of the school day to make sure everything was in order. Dressed in their holiday best, the students then dispersed throughout the school to spread merriment to the individuals that deserve it most this holiday season. 

When handing out the baked goods and warm hot chocolate, the students expressed their appreciation for the staff whose efforts over the months have not gone unnoticed. Among those who received a sweet treat were the school’s bus drivers, day porters, cafeteria workers, librarians, front office staff and counseling department. Once the holiday packages were given out, students delivered the remaining bags to their favorite teachers as a way to say thank you for all that they have done and continue to do. 

“It was so rewarding to give back to the people who make this school so great. [Support staff] work really hard for us every day, so it felt nice to embrace the meaning of the season when giving everyone the cookies,” said junior Kathrine Williams.