Introducing the New IB Coordinator

Mr. Mark Spewak

Photo by: Nabiha Rais

IB Coordinator, Mr. Mark Spewak, instructs his tenth grade students.

Mr. Mark Spewak has recently accepted the opportunity to serve as the International Baccalaureate (IB) coordinator at Midlothian High School, replacing Mrs. Elizabeth Baber, Midlo’s new Dean of Students. Initially, he plans to “develop inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring students” and is “pleased to take a larger part in a program that aims to do the same.” While taking on this new adventure, Mr. Spewak enjoys having the opportunity to work with and learn from the interesting group of students. He complimented the students on their ability to become “bold and driven enough to be themselves, while conquering the educational paths to success.”

In addition to his role as the IB coordinator, Mr. Spewak also teaches tenth grade English at Midlothian. In order to balance his time and keep everything in order,  he follows the motto: “eat well, sleep well, work well, and play well.¨ Mr. Spewak’s plans include: expanding the IB program’s presence at Midlothian in the future, which will further engage the community, while “finding ways to bring forth global learning and new perspectives to our school.”

Having taught at Midlothian for the past 12 year, Mr. Spewak proudly takes on the role as the IB coordinator and relishes the opportunities it brings. He views the IB program as”a chance to serve not only as a teacher, but as a coach, counselor, and mentor combined.”