Midlo students head to the polls

Midlo students plan to vote for the first time in the 2020 presidential election.

Photo by: Zinzi Symister

Midlo students prepare to vote for the first time on November 3, 2020.

With the turn of the season comes the highly anticipated 2020 presidential election between Republican candidate Donald Trump, Democrat Joe Biden, Libertarian Jo Jorgenson, and Green Party nominee Howie Hawkins. This year, many seniors at Midlo celebrate their birthdays, emerging into adulthood. These new 18-year olds now have the privilege to vote in the upcoming election, participating in democracy in a brand new way. Midlo AP Government teacher Regina Warriner shares, “Students have the opportunity to shape the policies of their future America by voting. If they aren’t old enough to vote yet, they can help out by volunteering in campaigns and simply spreading the word about the issues around them. I am confident that each generation will continue to enhance and improve the American experience through political participation.”

Midlo students of voting age and those who anticipate voting in the coming years already actively engage in politics by watching the presidential debates, keeping up with current events, and bringing awareness to the topics about which they are passionate, whether it be through posting on social media, attending protests, or filling out petitions. Many plan to further their participation in politics by taking to the polls this November 3.

Members of the Class of 2021 share their thoughts as they prepare to vote in the 2020 presidential election:

I registered to vote back in February. I could vote in the primaries, and it felt empowering in a way. It definitely feels strange that I’ll be voting for the first time alongside people who have been doing this for years, but I also feel a sense of pride because it’s like I am one of many that are representing our generation in this election. – Kat Moser

Voting makes me feel more important in our society. – Maggie Monroe

It’s really cool to finally be able to participate in something as important as a presidential election and get to voice my own choice for the first time. – Kaitlyn Moore

It feels exciting that I have a say in this important election. Paige Lassiter 

I am registered to vote. I think this is one of the most important elections, and I feel honored to be part of it. Patrick Lassiter

I am very excited for this to be my first year voting, especially during this election. Chasidy Silver 

I definitely need to do my homework and research all of the candidates. Sarah Nugent 

It feels pretty weird that I am actually old enough to vote, but at the same time, it is exciting to have the freedom and voice in the community. I am voting early! – Emma Weber

I’m going to vote on November 3. To be a first-time voter is pretty cool, especially that my first time voting will be in a presidential election. I feel a sense of  power in a way, and it makes me feel more independent. – Erin Wasson

At first, I was planning on not voting because I didn’t know much about either candidate, but after doing research and having conversations with adults, I realize this is something I have to do. I feel nervous and overwhelmed. It’s a big responsibility to put in your vote. – Emily Vanlandingham

It’s exciting! A little scary but it’s cool to know I can make an impact. I am voting early on October 23rd! Frances Ann Cox

I feel well informed and am ready to vote on November 3. – Daniel Brishke 

In the middle of the Coronavirus pandemic, students will vote under unprecedented circumstances with limited in-person polling. Starting September 18 through October 31, citizens have the option of early voting through sending in mail-in ballots and visiting polling centers. Mitchell Haas, who voted at the Chesterfield County Library, states, “It felt great to vote for the first time.” Haas looks back on going to the polls with his family members at a young age, recalling, “it is virtually the same as I remember; the only difference is I did it early.” The majority of Midlo students will vote on election day, November 3, 2020. These new voters hope to use their voices to shape the future they envision for the country.