Midlo seniors set sights on the future

Midlothian High School Senior Future’s Day 2019

Photo by: Erin Junkmann
Erin Junkmann visits Georgetown for Future’s Day.

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, Midlothian High School seniors participated in the school’s first Future’s Day. Due to PSAT day, scheduled for grades 9-11, the counseling office offered seniors the opportunity to spend the day focusing on preparation for future after high school instead of coming to school. Seniors chose from going on a college visit, participating in an independent community service activity, attending the college fair at the Career and Technical Center, or taking the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test. Some students also used the valuable time to work on college applications. To verify their participation, they  reflected on their experiences and submitted the short form to their English teachers for credit. All seniors enjoyed the opportunity to take a break from the stress of school, on top of college applications and other factors, to focus on their futures.

Many students took this day to tour prospective colleges before making final decisions. Annabel Schepker visited William and Mary, where she had the opportunity as a talented and involved Midlothian runner to talk to the school’s track coach. She also sat in on a Chemistry class and explored the campus. On the experience, she shared that it was “very good but very rainy.”

Seniors Ashleigh Lynch and John Williams traveled to Charlottesville to see the University of Virginia, where they experienced life as college students by walking around and sitting in on lectures. Chloe Brennan and Tegan Lee toured East Carolina University, where they enjoyed the chance to immerse themselves in the culture of East Carolina. Graham Jones toured  John Tyler Community College campus, expressing, “The campus is very small, but very nice. It seems like a great place.”

Other students took this day to get ahead or submit their college applications, as well as participate in other future-related activities. Vic Lin dedicated the day to working on his various applications and perfecting his college essays. Abigail Graves finished her early action application to her #1 school, James Madison UniversityPaul Miller worked on preparing his art and photography portfolios for Drexel University, University of California, and Virginia Commonwealth University.  Tim Lam spent the day taking the ASVAB test, which he describes as “a test that will forever change who [he is].” Lam expressed that Future’s Day helped him through his journey of “becoming something bigger than [himself]”.

As college application deadlines approach, stress for seniors continues to build, as they face serious decisions. Future’s Day helped ease a tremendous amount of this uncertainty for confused seniors. However, for students seeking further clarity about colleges and future plans, the 2019 CCPS College Fair will take place at the Career and Technical Center off Hull Street on Sunday, October 27, 2019, during which students will have the opportunity to meet college representatives from schools across Virginia and beyond.