Filed under Showcase, Sports

Midlo Indoor Track Races at States

2019 VHSL Indoor Track and Field State Championships

On February 22 and 23, 2019, Midlo’s Indoor Track and Field team competed at the VHSL State Indoor Track and Field Championships at Roanoke College in Salem, Virginia. These elite athletes worked, trained, lifted, and raced their way through the indoor season, and this meet put every competitor to the ultimate test. Battling through injuries and illness, the Trojans performed with every ounce of strength, and at the end of the meet, every athlete left bearing proud smiles.

The Midlo Girls Indoor Track and Field team began the competition with one goal: win the team championship. Every Lady Trojan fought to the finish line, and for the first half of the meet, they led the team championship competition. During the meet, Senior Erin Babashak always energized and encouraged her younger teammates with phrases like, “We can win this thing!” and “Everybody has to get some points!” As the meet drew to a close, the Blacksburg Bruins took the state title, and the Midlo Ladies Indoor Track team finished in second place, making them the VHSL Indoor Track State Runners-Up. Babashak not only had three all-state performances in the long jump, triple jump, and 55 meter hurdles, but she also qualified for the New Balance Nationals meet in the triple jump. Additional all-state athletes include: Dasia Hardy (5th, 55 Meter Dash and 4th, 300 Meter Dash), Caroline Bowe (3rd, 1000 Meter Run), Madelyn Venable (5th, 55 Meter Hurdles), 4×800 Meter Relay (Millie Weinhold-Lena Caffall-Caroline Bowe-Annabel Schepker, 4th), and Taylor Wiggins (4th, Shot Put).

The Midlo Boys Indoor Track and Field team consisted of eight Trojans, but their strength and power never wavered; these elite athletes made the most of their small population, finishing twentieth overall in the team competition. The 4×800 Meter Relay, consisting of Ian Gray, Joey Maguire, Andrew Steenkamer, and Max Etka placed fifth overall, which earned them an all-state title. Brayden Staib finished fourth overall in the Shot Put, another all-state finish, and Jake Kern finished eighth overall in the Shot Put. Other strong performances included: Max Etka (9th, 3200 Meter Run), Lundon Anderson (20th, Long Jump), and Brian Tavenner (16th, 3200 Meter Run).

Most of the 2018-2019 Indoor Track and Field team returned for the Outdoor Track and Field season, which began on February 25, 2019. 

About the Writer
  • Midlo Indoor Track Races at States

Important Dates

Mark These Important Dates!

• Spring Sports

Trojans Soccer Battles Cosby for Burger

• Midlo Indoor Track Races at States

Brishke and Ruotolo Race Towards Nationals

• Midlo Indoor Track Races at States

Spring Sports

Midlo Softball Seniors Reach the Home Stretch

• Midlo Indoor Track Races at States

News from the Classroom

CCPS Highlights Teachers Who Impact Students

• Midlo Indoor Track Races at States

News from the Classroom

Mrs. Carolyn Manheim Crowned 2020 Teacher of the Year

• Midlo Indoor Track Races at States

News from the Classroom

Midlo Teachers Appreciate One Another

• Midlo Indoor Track Races at States

Midlo Community

New Gazebo Honors the Heart of a Champion

• Midlo Indoor Track Races at States

News from the Classroom

Quill & Scroll Welcomes High Achieving Journalists

• Midlo Indoor Track Races at States

Midlo Shows Heart at Special Olympics Event

Midlo Indoor Track Races at States