Filed under IB, Student Life

A Satisfying Submission for IB Students

The IB Class of 2019 Students Submit IB Extended Essays

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Satisfying Submission for IB Students

The IB Class of 2019 stand in the midst of the snow to be recognized for submitting their final IB Extended Essays (not pictured: Nabiha Rais)

Photo by: Nabiha Rais

Photo by: Nabiha Rais

Photo by: Nabiha Rais

The International Baccalaureate (IB) Program at Midlothian High School offers an intense, rigorous, and challenging education for the students involved in order to obtain the IB Diploma. To earn the diploma, IB students must receive high marks on their examinations, complete all required courses, and write the crucial Extended Essay,  an independent and mandatory 4,000-word research paper. Completed over the course of junior and senior year, IB students engage in a topic of interest and communicate ideas and arguments to answer their central research question with efficiency. The essay is meant to prepare IB students for college-level research and investigate a topic of interest pertaining to them. By completing the essay, IB students move one step closer to attaining their IB diploma and bettering their education.

On Friday, January 25, 2019, the IB Class of 2019 submitted their final Extended Essays to the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO), sparking a great deal of happiness, satisfaction, and relief that they had conquered one of the hardest components of IB. After one long, tiring year of constructing the essay, the current IB seniors feel grateful to have fashioned a polished and completed paper. From sifting through primary source books and websites, to attending a multitude of back-to-back meetings, the experience in writing the paper proved exhausting, but well worth it after pressing the turn-in button. IB senior Dylan Kitt commented on how “the Extended Essay has been a long road,” but he is “ecstatic that is it done.” To add, IB senior Kirsten Hebb continued by saying, “I finally feel like a huge part of our IB experience has been completed, and we are in the final stretch. I am ready to see what is next!”

Now that the IB Class of 2019 has completed the pivotal 4,000-word Extended Essay, they will carry on through their journey of IB and continue working towards the ultimate goal: the IB Diploma.

About the Contributor
Nabiha Rais, Copy Editor

Nabiha Rais, Class of 2019

• A Satisfying Submission for IB Students

IB

The Future of IB Arrives

Clubs and Activities

A Quick Date With Midlo Classes

IB

Offering the Gift of Life

IB

IB Class of 2018 Earn Coveted Diploma

IB

Midlo IB Sponsors Blood Drive

IB

IB Kicks Off the Holidays

IB

The Perspectives of IB

IB

An IB Evening on the River

IB

A Festival Around the World

IB

Mark Your Calendars for the International Festival

A Satisfying Submission for IB Students