Filed under Sports, Spring Sports

Midlo Soccer Set for a Successful Season

Boys and Girls Soccer Preview

As the temperatures start to change, spring sport athletes look forward to the beginning of their season. Both the girls and boys soccer teams hope for a successful season and look forward to the possibility of securing a winning record for their team.  Even though the girls lost many key seniors, such as, Abby Snead, Mallory Turner, Madelyn Jimmerson, Ashley Lucero, Sarah Wall, Lana Figg, and Christine Roberts, they have gained many talented young players who hope to make positive impacts on the team.  The boys team also may have had to say goodbye to many exceptional seniors; however, the team looks forward to the freshmen that will bring depth to the field.  

Coming off an 8-5 record and a coaching change, the Lady Trojan Soccer team looks to bounce back with key players.  Returning to the field are five of the six seniors: Nicole Czyzewski, Erin Fogle, Selena Spezio, Erin Mushisky, and Addie White, who all want to go out with a bang for their senior year.  Also returning are key underclassmen, such as: Logan Georgel, Zoe Long, Sarah Aud, and Kathryn Phillips.  New to the Trojans are three freshmen: Erin Wasson, Maddie Stockdale, and Riley Brown, and one senior, Kristina Fawcett. At the end of the 2017 season, the

At the end of the 2017 season, the Lady Trojans said goodbye to two-year coach, Ms. Jessica Kramer, and now say hello to current coach and Trojan alum, Kiersten Hancock.  Hancock remarks, “Being able to come back and coach the program that influenced my life so much, as well as my soccer career, is truly an honor. I see great potential in each and every one of these girls who are a part of the program this year. I strongly believe this will be a winning season for Midlothian girls soccer, and I look forward to seeing what the future hold for this team.”  The first conference game for the Lady Trojans will be on March 15, away at James River.

After a winning record of 15-7 and a trip to the State Tournament, the boys soccer team gears up for another successful season on the pitch.  However, the Trojans will have to overcome some challenges this year, such as losing two key offensive players, Eric Hogge and Kyle Gaunt, who quickly became a dual-threat in the attacking line, but new faces will bring havoc to the opposing defense.  The backline of the Trojans also took a major setback by losing seniors Hemza Ababneh, Hunter Lemon, Michael South, Max Miller, and Jackson Kaze but will bounce back with the addition of two new freshmen, Justin Varela and Cesar Acosta.  For their first home game, the Trojans will host the James River Rapids at F.W. Poates Stadium.

About the Writer
Erin Junkmann, Midlo Scoop Staff

Erin Junkmann, Class of 2020

• Midlo Soccer Set for a Successful Season

Midlo Boys Lacrosse Claims Victory Over Rival Titans

Smith Starts a New Chapter at H-SC

Spring Sports

Trojans Soccer Settles Scores With the Skyhawks

Spring Sports

Trojans Baseball Team Swings Into Season Strong

Midlo Medford Basketball Celebrates Seniors at Final Home Game

Spring Sports

Sports Spring Into Season

Vardell Kicks to Become a Keydet

Midlo Indoor Track Races at States

Babashak and Morgan Earn Regional Recognition

Midlo Basketball Battles Bravely in Regional Matchups