• February 14: We will have an extended 1st period with NO MIDLO MORNING.

• Let it snow!

Filed under Sports, Winter Sports

Basketball Playoff Preview

Midlothian Boys Basketball Prepares to Enter Conference 20 Playoffs

Rico Coleman looks to drive to the basket.

Photo by: BJ Beckwith

Photo by: BJ Beckwith

Most Midlothian High School coaches and spectators would agree that this year’s boys basketball team is the best in a few years. The team has seven seniors in its graduating class, many of whom have played for four years with the program. The talent and seniority that this Midlothian team possesses gives the Trojans valuable experience essential in a playoff scenario.

The Trojans have won 4 games this year, which eclipses the win totals from previous years. These wins, along with an innumerable number of close losses, may set up the Trojans for an upset-filled playoff run. Midlothian enters the playoffs as the #6 seed, matching them up with the #3 seed Hanover. A difficult loss early in the season against the Hawks surely fuels Midlothian to upset the 3 seed going into Monday’s playoff game. Senior Tyler Gregory stated, “When we played them early on in the season, we were a growing team, but as the season has progressed, we all believe that we can go into Hanover and upset them.” Such an optimistic mentality from a senior captain can definitely lead to success in the upcoming playoffs.

The top seed going into the playoffs remains a tall and athletic Huguenot Falcons team, which possesses 3 starters above 6’6, including a 6’10” center. The defending state champs, Monacan, are seeded second. If the Trojans find themselves winning Monday, they match up against crosstown rival Monacan, which has arguably one of the best players in the area in Greg Parham. Midlothian will need to find a way to stop this talented player, and if successful, they will travel to the Regional tournament as well.

Friday, February 10th marks three different occasions: Senior Night for Midlothian’s graduating players, the last regular season game of the season, and the last game ever, excluding the playoffs, for 7 other players.  After a long season, seniors Tyler Gregory, Sam Maguire, Lucas Via, Brandon Demarco, Eric Picucci, Chase Green, and Rico Coleman all plan to receive acknowledgement for their dedication to the program. All these players have contributed four years to the program, with the exception of Demarco who started playing in 10th grade. Through off season workouts, team camps, practices, and games, these Trojan athletes dedicate an enormous amount of time to help support their basketball program.

If the Midlothian Boys Basketball team can catch on to a winning streak, anything is possible. Players, coaches, and fans who follow the team all would agree that they have the talent to make a run in the playoffs. It will take execution, persistence, and hard work to pull off these upsets.

• Basketball Playoff Preview

Midlo Dance Team Wins Big

• Basketball Playoff Preview

Trojans Face Skyhawks

• Basketball Playoff Preview

Fall Sports

Wajciechowski and Varela Earn All-State Spots

• Basketball Playoff Preview

Fall Sports

Wajciechowski Recognized as Class 4 Volleyball Player of the Year

• Basketball Playoff Preview

Medford Season Home Opener

• Basketball Playoff Preview

Fall Sports

Support Midlo Football!

• Basketball Playoff Preview

Midlo Wins in Triple Overtime Thriller

• Basketball Playoff Preview

Fall Sports

Midlo Girls XC Race in Cary

• Basketball Playoff Preview

Call Signs to Play Belmont Abbey Lacrosse

• Basketball Playoff Preview

Fall Sports

Midlo Falls in State Volleyball Championship

Basketball Playoff Preview