Boys volleyball wins big on senior night

Boys Volleyball Senior Night 2021

Photo by: Lauren Cassano
Boys Volleyball Senior Night 2021

The Varsity Boys Volleyball team has left a mark on Midlo. The tight-knit group of seniors has played together for their entire high school career. On March 16, 2021, the Class of 2021 took to the court against the Monacan High School. This year the seniors include Zach Hinz, Matthew Burger, Cubi Nguyen and Nick Steele.

After honoring the Trojan’s four seniors, they immediately switched to game time, looking to defeat the Monacan Chiefs and secure their fifth win of the season. The first set started slow for the Trojans as well as the Chiefs, with a close game between the two. Following a slow start, Steele put up a huge block to stop the momentum of the Chiefs and awarded Midlo with the serve. The Trojans then went on to regain the lead, after a five-point serving run from Nguyen and forced a Chiefs timeout at a score of 10-6. Concluding the timeout, Midlo remained ahead for the remainder of the first set with kills from Burger, Hinz and sophomore Michael Candland, ultimately leading to a first set victory of 25-17.

Entering the second set, the Trojans looked to advance to 2-0 over the Chiefs.  Down by a few early into the second, Midlo rallied together with kills from Steele and junior Rylan Nostheide.  After taking the lead with a score of 8-5, the Chiefs called their first timeout of the set, causing the Midlo stands and players to erupt with applause and excitement.  Following the timeout, the game remained close, but Burger had multiple kills and blocks to keep Midlo ahead. In the end, the Trojans came out victorious, by six points, and a score of 25-19.

Winning the first two sets, Midlo looked to clean sweep Monacan.  The third set remained close with aggressive play by both teams.  After a long, hard-fought match, the Monacan Chiefs came out on top by a score of 25-21.  Entering the fourth set, the Trojans put forth their best efforts to come out victorious, over the Chiefs, on the 2021 senior night.  After a close game for the fourth straight set the Trojans rallied together, and defeated the Chiefs 25-17, with an official score of 3-1, Trojans.

Midlo Volleyball Class of 2021: 

Zach Hinz started playing Midlo volleyball during 8th grade. He got introduced to the sport at his neighborhood sand volleyball court. Hinz is unsure of where he will attend in the Fall, but he plans on majoring in mechanical engineering.  

Cubi Nguyen has been with the Trojans for five years. After graduation, he plans to attend Virginia Commonwealth University and major in computer science.

Nick Steele started playing Midlo Volleyball in the 8th grade. His favorite memory was when the Varsity team went to States during his freshman year. This year he serves as a captain. In the fall, he plans to Virginia Commonwealth University and mechanical engineering. 

Matthew Burger serves as a captain for the Trojans. Burger will attend James Madison University in the Fall to pursue a career in information science.