Midlo Soccer says sayonara to seniors

Midlothian Soccer Class of 2020

Photo by: Maddie Stockdale

Midlothian Girls Soccer Class of 2020

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the spring sports athletes sadly missed their final year of high school competition as well as their eagerly anticipated Senior Night, an opportunity to celebrate the seniors’ accomplishments.  The Midlo Scoop would like to recognize the Midlothian Girls Soccer seniors for their hard work and dedication to Midlothian Athletics.

Midlothian Girls Soccer Class of 2020:

Zoe Long has been a member of the Midlothian team since freshman year, serving as the starting goalkeeper.  Throughout her years, Long has proved a strong force within the goal and a humble leader among her peers, earning her the captain spot this spring.  In the fall, Long will continue her soccer career at Randolph-Macon College, undecided in her major.  Reflecting on her time as the Midlo goalie, Zoe shares, “Midlo soccer has brought me closer to so many people who I never would’ve been friends with if it weren’t for soccer.”

Sarah Aud has played forward for the Trojans since her freshman year, scoring goals left and right.  This past year, Aud earned the honor of captain, showing strong leadership.  Next fall, Aud will attend James Madison University to study health sciences with a minor in pre-physician assistant.  Aud reflects, “Midlo soccer has given me so many friendships, and I’m going to miss all of my teammates so much.”

Erin Junkmann has played for the Midlothian varsity program since her freshman year.  As a vocal center defender, Junkmann led her team through many tough, hard-fought games, earning a captain spot during her junior and senior seasons.  In the fall, Junkmann will continue her soccer career at Georgetown University, where she will study human science on a pre-med track.  When looking back at her time playing for the Trojans, Junkmann states,”Playing soccer for Midlo not only provided me with various opportunities to better myself, but also gave me long-lasting friendships that I will never forget.”

Frankie Sperry has been a member of Midlo’s Varsity soccer team since her junior year, after spending her first two years in Texas.  Sperry contributed to the team as a powerful midfielder and forward, giving her best to help the team in every game.  Next fall, Sperry will attend the University of Oklahoma with an undecided major.  After reflecting on her short time with the Trojans, Sperry shares, “Midlo soccer has brought many new friendships into my life.”

Tegan Lee played for Midlothian’s JV team her freshman and sophomore year, serving as a captain during her second, and joined the varsity program this spring.  As a versatile defender, Lee provided Midlothian flexibility and stability throughout the backline.  In the fall, Lee will attend James Madison University to study elementary education with a minor in special education.  Lee reflects, “Midlo soccer has taught me leadership skills and how to truly work in a team setting.”

Claire Mosher has played for Midlothian for four years, with two on JV and two on varsity.  With her pace, Mosher has contributed as an outside back, wing midfielder, and a forward.  In the fall, Mosher will attend Virginia Tech to study chemistry.  When looking back on her times with Midlothian, Mosher states, “Soccer was fun with my friends, and I enjoyed winning the regional championship last year.”

Anna Basir has been a member of Midlothian’s soccer program for four years. Basir served as an attacking threat and an option for stabilizing the midfield by connect crisp passes.  Next fall, Basir will attend Virginia Commonwealth University to study exercise science.  Basir’s favorite memory of Midlothian soccer was “enjoying spending time every day with my teammates and making it to states last year.”