• Happy Homecoming, Midlo Trojans!

Filed under Spring Sports

Boys Soccer Celebrates the Class of 2018

Boys Soccer Senior Night vs. Monacan

Photo by: Sophie King
Will Brown surveys the field.

On Thursday, May 24, 2018, as their opening game in the 2018 Regional Tournament, the Midlothian High School Boys Varsity Soccer Team celebrated the members of the Class of 2018.  When the season ends, the Trojans will lose 6 seniors: Chase Hebert, Will Brown, Matt Callihan, Kenny Harbula, BJ Beckwith, and Finlay Raphael, who have contributed much to their team this season. As a part of the regional tournament, the Midlothian Trojans hosted the Monacan Chiefs for their last game at F.W. Poates. “I am excited to move on to bigger things, but I will definitely remember the good times I’ve had at Midlo playing soccer,” remarks senior Will Brown.

Right from the start of the whistle, the Trojans pressed the Chiefs and played with high intensity while looking to score.  Shortly after the start of the game, Anxo Ramos drew a foul in the box, allowing junior captain Bogue Cummings to score on a penalty kick.  The Trojans led the rest of the half, and at halftime, Coach Porter talked to his team, trying to get them to continue their lead over the Chiefs.  Once the second half started, it was a fight for the ball. Each team played with skill and aggression in order to score a goal.

In the middle of the second half, senior Chase Hebert fouled a Monacan forward, awarding Monacan a free kick inside the box.  Although the Trojans stood on the goal line protecting the goal, Chief forward Johnny Watters snuck the ball in, tying the game 1-1. With time winding down, both teams attacked and counter-attacked with hopes of not going into overtime periods. Just as the final whistle was about to blow, junior forward Jacob Hendrick managed to put the ball into the back of the net, allowing the Trojans to lead, yet again, by a score of 2-1.  By the time the final whistle had blown, the Trojans had advanced to the Regional Semi-finals, winning on senior night. “It was surreal as I spent my first season playing for Monacan’s Varsity team. It was a moment I won’t forget,” says junior Jacob Hendrick about scoring against his old teammates.

Midlothian Boys Soccer Class of 2018

Chase Hebert has been a part of the Varsity Boys Soccer program for 3 years and leads the team as a captain this season.  After Midlothian, he will continue his education at the University of Alabama to study Psychology.

Will Brown, who has played Varsity Soccer for Midlothian for 2 years, is a strong defender who always leads the backline to success. Once graduating, he will attend Virginia Tech and has not yet decided his major .

Matt Callihan, who has played Midlothian Boys Soccer for 4 years with 2 on Varsity, will continue his studies at Christopher Newport University, where he plans to study Architecture.

Kenny Harbula, a first year Varsity player, has made a big impact on the team. He will study Business Management at Virginia Tech and looks forward to being a Hokie.

BJ Beckwith, who has played soccer at Midlothian for 4 years with 2 years on the Varsity team, will continue his studies at James Madison University in order to major in Graphic Design.

Finlay Raphael has been a key role on the Midlothian Varsity Boys Soccer Team for 2 years.  Next fall, he plans to attend the University of Southern California to study Business.

About the Contributors
Erin Junkmann, Midlo Scoop Staff

Erin Junkmann, Class of 2020

Sophie King, Midlo Scoop Photographer

Sophie King, Class of 2019

• Boys Soccer Celebrates the Class of 2018

Spring Sports

Lady Trojans Soccer Kicks into Regionals

Spring Sports

Softball Celebrates Its Seniors

Spring Sports

Seniors Say Goodbye to the Field

Spring Sports

Trojans Win Big on Lacrosse Senior Night

Spring Sports

Trojans Baseball Team Takes Down Titans for First Time in 10 Years

Spring Sports

Tennis Seniors Celebrate Successes

Spring Sports

Girls Track Conquers Caroline

Spring Sports

Midlo Medford Basketball Celebrates Successful Season

Spring Sports

Midlo Lacrosse Recognizes Seniors

Spring Sports

Youngest Joyce Leaves Mark on Midlo