10 Strategies for Successful Testing

Test Preparation Tips

Photo by: Alberto G.

Any student can be successful on a test with effective preparation methods.

With Spring brings a busy season brimming with tests and exams. Students often get caught up in the stress and anticipation associated with these tests. This may lead many to procrastinate and not perform at their full potential. Here are some simple but effective preparation methods that if put to practice will help avoid this and boost your confidence, letting you ace your next big test.

1. Make a Study Schedule.

To avoid the stress and cramming that often comes with test taking, plan your study time in a calendar. Make sure to plan around both after school activities and other homework. Plus, write out all testing dates and locations to avoid confusion the day of.

2. Focus on Areas of Weakness.

A common mistake students make in preparation for tests, especially for exams covering material from the entire year, is spending too much time on the material they already know. Instead, utilize your time and energy effectively by spending more time on your weaknesses.

3. Review Material with a Teacher or Study Group.

If you have trouble understanding some concepts, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Study groups will help you stay on track and avoid procrastination.

4. Compose a Study Guide.

Write out all of the main ideas on a sheet of paper. This will create an organized overview of all the concepts and will allow for quick review when needed.

5. Increase Focus During Studying.

Have you ever spent hours studying without retaining any information? This may be due to your lack of concentration. Try to turn off technology and find a quiet space to work, free of distractions.

6. Take Practice Exams.

Practice exams are an ideal way to get familiar with not only the material, but the format of the test. Take what you get wrong on the practice exam and spend more time on it during studying.

7. Pay Close Attention in Class.

Try to absorb the information given to you in class. Teachers will often give hints or emphasize material that shows up on the test. When hearing something that sounds important, be sure to jot it down.

8. Eat Nutritious Foods and Drink Plenty of Water.

It’s crucial that in the days leading up to the test you have the energy needed to perform your best. Also, make sure not to skip breakfast the day of your test. A sufficient amount of healthy food will fuel the brain to function its best when testing.

9. Make Sure to Get Sufficient Sleep.

In the nights leading up to the test, catch at least 8 hours of sleep every night. This will both boost your energy and help you focus during the test.

10. Don’t Stress.

Stress can only hurt your grades, not help. Take a deep breath and do your best!