Midlo Book Drive Benefits Wells Summer Book Mobile

Helping Our Neighbors

Wells Elementary Students excitedly choose books from the Wells Read On! book mobile.

Ms. Mallory Smith, Wells Elementary School Reading Specialist, wanted to make sure that Wells students, who had made so much progress during the school year, would continue to read over the summer.  Knowing that a partnership would best achieve the desired goal, she contacted Mrs. Jackie Tully, a Midlothian High School English teacher, with a request to sponsor a book drive to benefit a Wells Summer Book Mobile. Midlothian High School students and faculty, as well as the greater Midlothian community, enthusiastically accepted the challenge, working together to collect approximately 1, 800 books during the month of May alone. The boxes and boxes of books found homes in the small, eager hands of Wells Elementary students.

During the hot summer months, Mrs. Smith, joined by Principal Debbie Weatherford, and Librarian Marqquita Copeland regularly filled the trunk of a car with the donated books to fulfill the Wildcats Read On! initiative, visiting several Wells Elementary neighborhoods to the delight of many smiling children and parents. The Summer Book Mobile program proved a huge success, a testament to the friendship and partnership of two Chesterfield school communities, striving to make a difference in the lives of children- one book at a time.