Words, Unity, and the Pursuit of Trial and Error

Midlo Forensic Speech and Debate Team Find Success at the Midlothian High School Invitational

Midlothian High School Forensics Speech and Debate officer team celebrates an amazing showing for the team’s first competition of the season.

On Saturday November 5, 2016, the Midlothian High School Forensic Speech and Debate team hosted teams from across Virginia, for the first competition of the season, the VHSL Midlothian Speech and Debate Invitational.  Coaches David Wilson, Daniel Cheatham, Adam Schwab, and Madeleine Smith prepped Midlo’s team to face the competition head-on. New team members and new pieces coupled with inspiring dreams as 273 (Two hundred seventy-three!) entries poured into Midlothian High School, words and pieces in hand as each respective competitor vied for victory. The competition’s field was difficult; students ranged from first timers to grizzled VHSL state winners in their respective categories.

Students compete with competitors outside of their VHSL divisions, which allows them to meet competitors they would not typically face. For example, a state winner in division 3A of an event may compete against the division 4A state winner of that same event. This is unlike that of VHSL Conference, Regionals, or States competition. Not only do invitationals offer a different level of competitiveness, they also offer many first-time forensicators the opportunity to try something for the first time. The Midlothian High School Forensic team is rebuilding after losing so many incredible graduating seniors; however, Midlo’s new competitors made it clear on Saturday that they would step up to the plate.

MHS freshman Nour Goulmamine refused to back down as she fought valiantly to secure 4th place in Prose Interpretation, an event that requires both confidence and skillful analysis and acting of a prose categorized piece. Many veteran team members also left their comfort zones at the door as they tried new events for the first time. Justin Pollard, a multiple award winning Serious Dramatic Interpretation competitor, walked away with 1st place in Original Spoken Word, an event that demands students to create their own poetry to perform and interpret for a 7-10 minute performance in front of a live audience.

The results do not lie; Midlothian High School Forensics made a huge statement on Saturday with nineteen placing entries. More important than placing, the team unified and faced one of the biggest fears people face in our society today: public speaking.

Please congratulate the following Midlothian High School Forensicators for placing in their respective events:

1st Place Trophy

Justin Pollard – Original Spoken Word

Joitree Alam – Prose Interpretation

2nd Place Trophy

Vraj Gandhi – Prose Interpretation

Yusuf Goulmamine – Humorous Dramatic Interpretation

3rd Place Trophy

Michael DeMatteo – Impromptu Speaking

Billie VanStory – Duo Interpretation

Karl Villareal – Duo Interpretation

Quentin Phillips – Extemporaneous Speaking

4th Place Medal

Mac Cartier – Student Congress

Bethany Crisp – Lincoln-Douglas Debate

Elijah Dorman – Public Forum Debate

Jinwoo Kim – Public Forum Debate

Nour Goulmamine – Prose Interpretation

5th Place Medal

Justin Pollard – Serious Dramatic Interpretation

Noah Dorman – Humorous Dramatic Interpretation

Jason Li – Public Forum Debate

Sai Poluri – Public Forum Debate

6th Place Medal

Charles Miller – Student Congress

Jack Stid – Lincoln-Douglas Debate

Avnee Raje – Extemporaneous Speaking