Sharobim says goodbye

Mr. Sharobim retires

Sharobim pictured in front of his wall that is “my everything”

The words “you were born to be a teacher,” spoken by his math teacher at the time is what encouraged a young Badr Sharobim in 1974 to pursue a career not in becoming a pilot, or professional soccer player, but instead to become a math teacher.

Badr Sharobim was born in 1957 in Cairo Egypt and graduated from Ain Shames University with a Bachelor’s degree in science majoring in Pure and Applied Mathematics, and a Bachelor’s degree in Education. He discovered he calling to become a math teacher when he was sitting in class during Junior High and his math teacher witnesses him explaining a math problem to a fellow peer. The teacher walked over and said “you were born to be a math teacher” which led Sharobim to major in math instead of continuing his dreams of becoming a pilot or being a professional soccer player.

Following his graduation he taught math in Libya 1984-1991, and three years in Egypt, then moved to America. Explaining that when he moved he knew no English and explains it was the hardest part. He found teaching math easy to navigate due to math having international language. 

Sharobim came to Midlothian in 1998 as not a teacher, but a long-term sub for a math teacher. Luckily for him, Midlo had an opening in the math department the following year. The principal at the time, Mr. Witthoefft offered him a full time position, and Sharobim with no hesitation accepted the offer and in the following year was an official CCPS math teacher.

At first he taught Calculus BC, AP Statistics, Trigonometry, and Algebra 2 and he also started the IB program here at Midlo. Below Sharobim reflects on some of his most memorable students, moments and memories here at Midlo. 

“In 2001 one of my students in a C-level class was so sharp” saying that at times this student would speak aloud a correct answer before Sharobim could even finish the question. However, he did not turn in any homework assignments, which is why his average grade placed him into C-level classes. He never did homework in high school and “I asked him if he can do it for me, and he said I will try, I told him NO, you will not try but you will promise me now that you will do the homework and shaked his hand,” Sharobim said.

He explains that next class that student was the first one to come to class with the homework in hand, and when he looked at the homework to see a piece of art and beautiful handwriting with all the final answers written down in different colors.

“I was shocked and gave him a hug, and immediately went to his counselor requesting a class change from C-level to Honors. It eas great to see him in the following years taking AP Calculus and score a 5 on the AP-Exam,” Sharobim explains. 

Sharobim explains that in 2005 the principal at the time Mrs. Chritine Wilson walked into his classroom to tell him that he would be the new mathematics department chair.

I’m truly lucky to work with the most talented math teachers in Chesterfield county here a Midlothian,” Sharobim said. “It really made my job easy. I will really miss my great students.” 

He will miss his students the most.  In particular, the time he spent playing chess.  Sharobim is an excellent chess player as he houses many trophies in his classroom, and has played chess for many years.

His biggest advice to students and teachers is watch what you say to people and kids specifically students, because it can have a big impact on those students and peoples lives. An impact you may not even realize it has.