Out of the loop? Get the scoop!

Out of the loop? Get the scoop!

Out of the loop? Get the scoop!

Rec Basketball takes Midlothian by storm

Students create their own recreational basketball teams outside of school with friends

Midlothian’s basketball team can be a massive time commitment, as well as a test of skill, limiting prospective players for the team.  Students who may not meet these requirements have joined the Bon Air Basketball League. Anyone can play basketball for Bon Air, and because of this multiple teams have emerged. Bon Air offers these teams a place to practice once a week and games every week to compete against other teams. These teams often go to the same schools or participate in the same extracurriculars, so the match-ups are usually less intense than that of a travel of high school game.   

Most of the Bon Air team’s players have also started to have a strong Instagram and overall social media presence. One of the most active and prevalent teams on Instagram is the Bon Air Knights, with the account run by Declan Flood. “[It’s] a fun way to express my passion for graphic design into a fun project,” Flood said. Other teams also have popular Instagram accounts – you might recognize the Untouchables, Green, Bettie Weaver, The Milkmen and others popping up on your recommendations. 

With Midlothian High School having so many teams in the league, there happens to be circumstances when they meet and play each other. A few weeks ago, the Bon Air Untouchables led by Junior Carter Nelson met the Bon Air Knights led by Jackson Bryant in a Saturday matchup. The court was filled with all laughs as the players all knew each other. In the end the Knights got the win, but both teams seemed to have had a good time. 

The senior class has also had their slice of the fun of Bon Air Basketball. The Milkmen, led by senior Will Hodge, is the face of senior class Bon Air Basketball. The Milkmen kicked off their Bon Air Basketball careers last year and they are what started the focus on the league. The Milkwomen, led by Danni Marmo, drew inspiration from the Milkmen. The Milkwomen are in their first season and are one of the few women’s team’s from our school.  

Bon Air Basketball has allowed for Midlothian students to have a fun and active hobby with their friends, while also allowing them to express themselves. As this season wraps up, we will see if the fun continues throughout a summer season of Bon Air.