Latin students celebrate the end of the year

2022 end of year Latin Banquet

Photo by: Nicole Quiram
The 2021-2022 Latin Club officers smile with their gifts and Ms. Petersen.

On Monday May 16, 2022, Midlo Latin Club met for their final meeting of the year at 7 p.m. to celebrate the accomplishments of Latin students at the annual Latin Banquet. Family members and Latin students congregated in the Closed Commons to talk and watch a slideshow before the ceremony began. The slideshow, created by Latin Club Historian Sarah Mackie, played to show memories from different Latin Club events over the school year.

Latin Club president Nicole Quiram welcomed everyone to the first in-person ceremony since 2019. She gave an overview of the past year of the club and thanked her fellow officers and sponsor Ms. Amy Petersen for allowing club meetings to run smoothly during her presidency. Petersen, the Latin teacher for levels 3+, recognized students who scored above average in March on the National Latin Exam, as well as students who placed at the Virginia Junior Classical League, also known as Latin Convention, which the school attended virtually in November of 2021.

Following this, Petersen talked about the impact that six students had this year and recognized them for going above and beyond. She awarded each with a gift for the impact they have made in the classroom and in Latin Club. These students include: Turner Wimbish, Cassie Grizzard, Abby Russo, Jacob Williams, Maddy Pugh and Nicole Quiram. During this, Petersen announced that Quiram had been named Wayne Wray Classical Association of Virginia Scholarship, awarded to the Latin student who had gone above and beyond to spread a love for Latin. Afterward, students who met the requirements of induction into the National Latin Honor Society were called to the front. All the seniors lit their candle from the center candle and passed their flames on to all other inductees. Once lit, the students followed Ms. Petersen’s lead and recited a pledge in Latin, to vow to do their best and have fun. Mr. Lagow awarded each student with certificates to signify their achievement. 

At the end of the event, current officers who were wearing gold leaf crowns, told the attendees all that they had done to serve the club this year and passed their crowns to the new 2022-2023 officers. The passing of the crowns symbols the legacy that will continue in the coming year. The 2022-2023 President Jacob Williams closed the ceremony by thanking everyone for attending and sharing his hopes for the coming year. 

Congratulations to the following inductees:

Adam Burke

Mary Carson

Cora Corcoran

Cade Crayton

Madeline Crenshaw

Jason Dela Cruz

William Ferree

Ashley Flood

Declan Flood

Cassie Grizzard

Maddox Johnson

Jay Lavender

Sarah Mackie

Lorrin Mercer

Carter Nelson

Jenelle O’Neill

Madison Pugh

Kathryn Quiram

Nicole Quiram

Maggie Royle

Jacob Serin

Haley Tucker

Jordan Tucker

Emily Vaughan

Jacob Williams

Miranda Wilson

Turner Wimbish