Midlo announces January Students of the Month

January Students of the Month 2022: Ajla Vehab and Sophie Marusco

Photo by: Bridget Tracy
Midlo recognizes seniors Sophie Marusco and Ajla Vehab as the new students of the month.

Throughout the school year, Midlo faculty and staff make it a priority to recognize two exemplary students each month who exhibit the school’s core values. For January 2022, seniors Ajla Vehan and Sophie Rose Marusco were awarded the Students of the Month designation for displaying a commitment to achieve excellence both inside and outside the classroom, as well as for their continuous positive contributions to the school community as a whole.

Upon receiving the award, Vehan was overcome with gratitude as it signaled that “all of [her] hard work and efforts had not gone unnoticed” by both her peers and teachers alike. Over the years, Vehan has learned how to balance her life in and outside of the classroom in a way that allows her to fully take part in both environments without falling behind or placing one over the other, which is undoubtedly a quality that was factored into her nomination. Some of the programs that she is an active member of are the school’s RAMPS club and the local Midlo Tennis Club.

Throughout Vehan’s time at Midlo, each one of her teachers has left a mark on her. Every instructor has offered different perspectives and lessons that she has taken with her and will continue to implement moving forward. With that in mind, Vehan plans to attend Virginia Commonwealth University in the fall where she will embark on a pre-dental track in the hopes of going to dental school in the future.

As for senior Sophie Marusco, she found herself surprised when she initially heard the news from one of her teachers regarding the award. However, given her hard work and dedication to her school work, “it truly means a lot,” Marusco said. 

Demonstrating persistence and the desire to grow as a student, Marusco makes sure to reach out to each one of her teachers for guidance when she needs help with her work, as well as collaborate with her classmates. Outside of the classroom, Marusco has made it a priority to “find [her] crowd of people who share [her] common interests, such as show choir and drama,” which has allowed her to make the most of her time at Midlo. 

When considering those who have left the biggest impact on her throughout her four years of high school, Mr. Daniel Abel with his laid-back teaching style and Ms. Lisa Martin-Hudgins who is always there for her students both stand out for Marusco. Though she is currently deciding between three schools, Marusco is looking forward to exploring more of her interest in college after graduating from Midlo.

Congratulations, Ajla and Sophie Rose!