CCPSOnline increases fees for the 2021-22 school year

Prices for CCPSOnline courses have increased by $75

Photo by: Chesterfield County Public Schools

During the School Board meeting on February 25, 2021, the five CCPS board members unanimously agreed to change the fees of CCPSOnline courses. The prices for CCPSOnline have been unaltered for the past 13 years, but Dr. Sharon Pope, the Chief Academic Officer for Chesterfield County, proposed a memo that was previously introduced in April 2020 to increase course fees. 

In years past, the CCPS summer courses were $125 for a half-credit class and $250 for a one-credit class for residents of Chesterfield County. For nonresidents, the summer fee has remained unchanged and is still $875 for a full credit and $450 for a half-credit. For this summer, residents will have an additional $75 fee increase for a full credit, making the new cost $325 for full credit and $165 for half-credit courses. 

In addition to this 30% increase, fees will now be included in the 2021-22 school year CCPSOnline courses which were previously free of charge to residents. For a one-credit year-long class, resident students will have to pay $325. For a half-credit year-long class, residential students will have to pay $165. Typically, nonresident students have to pay to take a CCPSOnline course over the school year. The prices for non-residents are $875 for a one-credit year-long class and $450 for a half-credit year-long class. The memo stated that these prices will remain intact and will not change for nonresident students. If a student is taking only six out of seven classes, CCPSOnline offers an option to take a seventh and final class through their program free of charge. The typical course fees that students normally pay if they are taking a course through CCPSOnline during the summer are used to pay summer school teachers.

Pope then introduced the second part to the memo which explained how any resident student seeking one additional course from CCPS online will be granted a full waiver upon request. This waiver will allow parents and students to adjust to the new fee structure for the 2021-22 school year. Pope then introduced another memo about the 2022-23 school year that stated any student who poses the federal meal qualifications status will be granted fee reduction if looking to take a course through CCPSOnline. “Students who are a part of the free meal status will not have any fees to fulfill for the course and those on reduced meal status would have an 80% reduction,” Pope explained. 

Registration to sign up for CCPSOnline courses for the 2021-22 school year opened up on February 1, 2021, and will remain so until July 9, 2021. Registration for CCPSOnline courses for the summer of 2021 opened up on March 1, 2021, and will remain so until July 9, 2021.

To find out more about CCPSOnline click here