Boys basketball honors seniors

2021 Midlo Boys Basketball Senior Night

Photo by: Lauren Cassano
Boys Basketball Senior Night 2021: Jack Dillon

Each season, the Midlo basketball team gathers to say goodbye to their beloved senior leaders. On Monday, January 11, 2021, the Trojans celebrated Boys Basketball Senior Night, honoring the basketball careers of Aidan Marsili, Carter Lovasz, Jacob Vanlandingham, Nate Brown, Trey Mondrey, Kameron Olds and Jack Dillon. Prior to the home game against James River, the team recognized each senior player. Escorted by family members, each player’s name was announced along with their favorite memories from their time playing for Midlo, where they plan to attend college and their aspirations for the future. 

Boys Basketball Class of 2021:

Aidan Marsili: In his third year on the Midlo basketball team, Marsili is also an active member of FBLA. His favorite memory from his time on the team was making the game-winning shot against James River during his junior year and celebrating with his team after. 

Carter Lovasz: Lovasz has competed on the Midlo basketball and baseball team throughout his time in high school. His favorite memory was beating Monacan on their home field during his sophomore year. He plans to attend William and Mary and major in business. 

Jacob Vanlandingham: In addition to playing basketball for Midlo, Vanlandingham also competes for the Trojan football team as a cornerback. His favorite memory was when his coach challenged him to make a shot on the free throw line. After sinking the shot, Vanlandingham scored a shot on the JV team. He plans to attend George Mason University and major in business and sports management.

Nate Brown: Brown has competed on the basketball team for his whole high school career, and he has also played for the Midlo lacrosse team. He plans to major in corporate real estate in college. 

Trey Mondrey: In his fourth year on the Midlo basketball team, Mondrey’s favorite memory was beating Bird freshman year. He plans to study at Longwood University in the fall of 2021. 

Kameron Olds: Olds has been on the team for two years and also plays football for Midlo. He will miss the pregame rituals he shares with his teammates and playing friends from rival schools when he leaves for college. Currently, Olds is deciding between Division I football scholarships to further his athletic career in college where he will study sports administration and communication. 

Jack Dillon: On top of his involvement in volleyball, FBLA, and DECA, Dillon has competed on the Midlo basketball team for the past four years. His favorite memory was beating Monacan his sophomore year. He plans to major in marketing in college. 

Following the celebration, the Trojans took to the court to battle the James River Rapids. Off the faceoff, Rapids secured a lead, and by the end of the first quarter, the score rested at 19-4 in River’s favor. As the game continued into the second quarter, Midlo managed to slightly close the point gap, as junior Jack Scott and Jack Dillon each sunk 3-pointers. Carter Lovasz continued this bold streak, rebounding shots and securing more points for Midlo. Despite these efforts, River still held the lead at 29-22 as the buzzer sounded for halftime. As the second half kicked off, River began with possession, forcing Midlo to play tight defense. As the game progressed, River maintained the lead, ending the quarter with a score of 40-31. Throughout the last quarter, the Rapids continued to pull ahead, forcing Midlo to play a defense-heavy game. As the seconds winded down, the Rapids ultimately defeated the Trojans 57-38. 

Following the Senior Night match, head coach Jarhon Giddings said, “The class of 2021 has had a huge impact on the basketball program at Midlothian. We knew that they were a special group when they started here three years ago. I am happy to have had the opportunity to coach these guys, and I know they will all be successful in their respective endeavors going forward.” The seniors’ influence and leadership will be missed greatly, and the team hopes to see underclassmen step up to fill their shoes in the next season. Although the seniors said their goodbyes, they still have a demanding season ahead as they play into early February. Next, the Trojans will travel to Powhatan to rival the Indians on January 13, 2021.