Midlo takes a stand during Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month

National Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month

Photo by: Edwards Air Force Base

Midlo wears orange and purple to show their support against domestic abuse.

On Wednesday, February 26, 2020, the students and faculty of Midlothian High School were encouraged to recognize the underlying meaning of February, Teen Dating Violence Awareness. Each year, the nation takes a stand against this issue in an effort to eliminate dating abuse before it begins. Midlo’s Counseling Department planned to use this week to bring attention to the signs of both healthy and unhealthy relations, along with abusive behaviors.

To show their support, many students and staff dressed in either purple, which represents overall awareness for domestic violence, or orange, which signifies dating abuse, shirts with jeans on Wednesday. To accompany the designated colors, teachers presented an informational speech to their 1st period classes that highlighted the signs of dating abuse. With teachers breaking the barrier of domestic abuse, students gained empowerment with the confidence to speak up about their own knowledge about dating violence. Signifying unity and solidarity in the battle against abusive relationships, the Midlo community embraced the opportunity to come together and raise awareness for dating violence.

Counselors would like to give all students the platform to reach out to a trusted adult if they are an individual or knows of an individual who struggles with relationship violence. Throughout the month of February, the nation continues to shed light on teen dating violence awareness and the necessary steps to create an environment conducive to healthy relationships.