Timeless Mrs. Tucker

Mrs. Amy Tucker Retires After 24 Years of Teaching at Midlo

As the 2016-2017 comes to a close, Midlothian High School will soon say goodbye to several cherished faculty members, including beloved English teacher, Mrs. Amy Tucker, who has spent the past 24 years at Midlothian sharing her love of English.  

Mrs. Tucker is one of the few English teachers who teaches only freshman classes at Midlo, which requires a special brand of patience and nurturing.  While the freshmen enter a new lifestyle and new level of work in Mrs. Tucker’s class, she has a reputation as a teacher willing to help her students with almost anything.  Senior Caitlin Walker remembers back to her freshman year with Mrs. Tucker, saying, “When I took the PSAT my sophomore year, her grammar of the day lessons really helped me and gave me a really good foundation for my future English classes.” Many students at Midlo have learned so much from Mrs. Tucker after taking her classes. Riley Mosher says, “She taught me a lot about grammar, and it has led me to be a better student in English class.”

Aside from her value as a great teacher, students also consider her a strong leader and role model. Senior Olivia Coleman says, “She was one of my more challenging classes freshman year, but she was the teacher that I learned the most from. Whenever I needed help on an essay, she would sit down with me and talk me through the process and what would sound best. All in all, she significantly prepared me for the rest of high school.”

As a telling detail, Mrs. Tucker is such an inspirational English teacher that her own daughter decided to follow in her footsteps and is also a Midlo English teacher. Mrs. Molly Palenski shares, “It has been interesting experience teaching English alongside my mom for the last two years, but I have really enjoyed our time together as coworkers! She has been an amazing mentor in so many aspects of my life.”

Of life after teaching, Mrs. Tucker shares, “I have no definite plans. I am going to be a new grandmother, so I will have more freedom to travel with my husband on work trips, and I will be working out more regularly.”  As a true asset to Midlothian throughout her tenure, Mrs. Tucker will be greatly missed.  Principal Shawn Abel says, “Mrs. Tucker epitomizes the perfect combination of compassion and firmness.  She is incredibly organized, sets high standards, and gets her students there.” Mr. Daniel Cheatham, English Department Co-Chair, adds, “Mrs. Tucker has been a cornerstone of the English department for many years; what will we do without her next year?”  The Midlo Scoop Staff wishes Mrs. Tucker the best of luck, as she embarks on a new journey in her life.

About the Contributor
Patterson Levitch, Staff Writer

Patterson Levitch, Class of 2017

• Timeless Mrs. Tucker

News from the Classroom

Delta Epsilon Phi Welcomes New Members

• Timeless Mrs. Tucker

News from the Classroom

Morgan Earns @GoMidlo Community Member of the Month

• Timeless Mrs. Tucker

News from the Classroom

CCPS Highlights Teachers Who Impact Students

• Timeless Mrs. Tucker

News from the Classroom

Midlo Scoop Staff Recognizes Inspirational Teachers

• Timeless Mrs. Tucker

News from the Classroom

Mrs. Carolyn Manheim Crowned 2020 Teacher of the Year

• Timeless Mrs. Tucker

News from the Classroom

Why Did You Become a Teacher?

• Timeless Mrs. Tucker

News from the Classroom

Midlo Teachers Appreciate One Another

• Timeless Mrs. Tucker

News from the Classroom

Quill & Scroll Welcomes High Achieving Journalists

• Timeless Mrs. Tucker

News from the Classroom

Morris Reigns as April Employee of the Month

• Timeless Mrs. Tucker

Midlo Library

Midlo’s Library Celebrates Language and Culture

Timeless Mrs. Tucker