• Exams begin on December 12!

• Happy Holidays!!

Until Next Year…

Homework Helpers

Photo by: Emily Junkmann
Apryl Bradt and Kimberly smile as they relax in the sun

On Wednesday, April 5, Homework Helpers celebrated the end of the spring session with the annual Easter Egg Hunt. Tutors excitedly greeted their kids as they got off the bus and prepared them for the fun celebration they were about to experience. Immediately after the kids arrived, all students and tutors participated in the much anticipated Easter Egg Hunt. Program Coordinator Mrs. Ginger Pridgen and several other volunteers spent the entire day filling 1,400 plastic eggs with candy for the kids. After school, high school tutors arrived at Mrs. Pridgen’s house to help hide all of the eggs. In addition to the 1,400 eggs, the tutors hid four golden eggs. The hunt can get quite competitive since whoever finds the most eggs gets to pick a prize first.

After the hunt, the kids and their tutors were set loose to explore all of the activities and enjoy their final time together. At one table, the kids dyed their two eggs one of five colors.  At another table, face painting supplies covered the table, and the kids and their tutors enjoyed painting each other’s faces and hands in drawings. The kids made a spring-themed picture frame, and in the frame, they put a picture of themselves with their tutor.  The cupcake decorating table emerged as one of the most popular stations at the event. The kids and their tutors took a quick break from all of the crafts and activities to sit down and enjoy pizza. Soon after, the bunny hop and balloon popping races began, spreading smiles across the kids’ faces. Everyone enjoyed taking a break from homework and having a little fun in the sun. When asked about her favorite part of the Easter Egg Hunt, Molly Fletcher chose painting her kid’s face.  As the day ended, kids and tutors said their goodbyes, many for the last time as many of the tutors are seniors. Finally, the kids boarded the bus and waved goodbye, and as the bus drove away, tears rolled down many of the senior tutors’ faces. Senior Apryl Bradt had to say goodbye to her mentee, with whom she has worked since her freshman year. 

If you are interested in participating in Homework Helpers next year, applications for the 2017-2018 school year are available in the front office, or click the link below. If you have any questions, contact Mrs. Pridgen at [email protected].

Click HERE for the 2017-2018 Homework Helpers Application.

• Until Next Year…

Clubs and Activities

Cookies, Carols, and Cocoa for CCPS Bus Drivers

• Until Next Year…

Clubs and Activities

Trojans For Tomorrow Celebrates The Holidays

• Until Next Year…

Clubs and Activities

DECA Delivers Christmas Miracles

• Until Next Year…

Clubs and Activities

Latin Students Converge on Greater Richmond Convention Center

• Until Next Year…

Clubs and Activities

Fall FBLA Happenings

• Until Next Year…

Clubs and Activities

Counting Down To Christmas

• Until Next Year…

Clubs and Activities

Triumph at James River

• Until Next Year…

Clubs and Activities

Food Fight to End Hunger

• Until Next Year…

Clubs and Activities

DECA Takes On Charlottesville

• Until Next Year…

Clubs and Activities

Homework Helpers Make a Difference

Until Next Year…