Forensics Around the Creek

Midlothian High School Forensics Team Finishes 2nd at the Swift Creek Invitational

Midlo Forensic Speech team members enjoy their evening at the Swift Creek Speech Invitational.

On Friday, December 9, 2016, the Midlothian High Forensics team had a great showing at the Swift Creek Speech Invitational. Forensicators exuberated honor and skill as they competed against fierce competition.

The team faced excellent competitors, many of whom have placed on the state and national level. With over 300 event entries, the competition proved another great experience and stepping stone during the team’s early season.

Many competitors competing for the Midlothian team continued to endeavour in new events. Justin Pollard, a team officer, continued to reach excellence in Original Spoken Word, a new event this season in which students create pieces of poetry and then interpret them in front of a live audience for 7-10 minutes. Furthermore, many competitors reached new milestones. Michael DeMatteo achieved a career-high score of 297/300 in Impromptu Speaking, finishing 1st place in every round and earning a respective score of 100/100, 99/100, and 98/100, essentially shutting down the field.

What truly will remain vivid, however, is the incredible fun the team had. Duo Improvisation team Yusuf Goulamine and Vraj Gandhi performed their hilarious 2nd round performance of Shrek meets Donald Trump live prior to the awards ceremony and had the Midlothian team and other competitors frenzied in laughter.

Overall, team work pays off, a sentiment confirmed by the 2nd Place Team trophy earned by the team on Friday night. It goes without saying that Midlothian showed themselves as individuals who can stand face-to-face with any competitor. The next stop for the team is Cosby High School for the January Speech and Debate Invitational tournament. Congratulations to all of those students who placed:

1st Place

Michael DeMatteo – Impromptu Speaking

2nd Place

Mariha Junaid – Original Oratory

Justin Pollard – Original Spoken Word

Bethany Crisp – Extemporaneous Speaking

3rd Place

Joitree Alam – Humorous Dramatic Interpretation

Yusuf Goulmamine – Prose Interpretation

4th Place

Billie VanStory – Prose Interpretation

5th Place

Vraj Gandhi – Duo Improvisation

Yusuf Goulmamine – Duo Improvisation

6th Place

Mac Cartier – Impromptu Speaking

Quentin Phillips – Extemporaneous Speaking