DECA students compete for states

DECA competition 2023

Students in DECA after thei competition.

Photo by: Elliot Rucker

DECA students piled into Chesterfield Town Center on Jan. 4 to compete and prepare for their future in a business role.

Students were given a role play scenario that puts them in the shoes of a business professional,” Elliot Rucker, sponsor of DECA, said. “They are given ten minutes to work through their prompt, problem solve, and prepare a presentation. They appear in front of judges who critique them as they present their solution.”

The event took place for three hours during the school day. 

“We had a ton of DECA Advisors, Teachers, administration and volunteers there to help make sure it ran efficiently,” Rucker said. 

The competitive event has been in the making for students involved. 

“We have been preparing for about two months. Students signed up in November and began preparing for their Career Cluster Exam, which they took in late November,” Rucker said. 

One of the scenarios for a student was a job interview. 

“I did a mock interview,” Sofie Pappert, 9, said. “I had to pretend I was applying for a job. I did not know the exposition I was applying for until I got there. I was applying to be a concession stand worker. I was asked questions and had to answer them.”

Sixteen students who were involved have placed a spot in VA DECA State Leadership Conference this March. 

“I am going to States this spring,” Pappert said. “This is the first time I have ever done anything like this, so it was exciting.”  

Sixteen students are preparing to go to Virginia Beach for the State Leadership conference.