Spring Spirit Week blossoms with creativity

This week at Midlo, students go all-out for Spring Spirit Week.

Students+go+all+out+for+Spirit+Week+

Photo by: Kyle Reeder

Students go all out for Spirit Week

Spring was in the air this week as students went all out for spring spirit week.  On Monday, students dressed to different letters of MIDLO. Freshmen were M, sophomores were I, juniors were D, seniors were L, and staff were O.

Many took this theme day into their own hands by dressing up as moms, investigators, dads, lifeguards, or “overachiever” as Ms. Nunally put it.

Junior Kathryn DuVal dresses up as “Number One Dad” for MIDLO Day. (Photo by: Kyle Reeder)
Junior Sarah Singh and Sophomore Sophia DeWitt dress up as “Dora and the Backpack” for MIDLO Day. (Photo by: Kyle Reeder)
Freshmen Sophie Pedini and Matley Pfeifer dress as “Moms” for MIDLO Day (Photo by: Kyle Reeder)

Freshmen Sophie Pedini and Matley Pfeifer both decided to dress up as moms. They each had a strap-on baby holder, each paired with fashionable baby dolls.  Junior Sarah Singh dressed up as Dora, along with her sidekick, sophomore Sophia DeWitt, who dressed up as the backpack. Many students took the spirit day seriously, just like junior Kathryn Duval, who dressed up as the #1 Dad.

Tuesday was Identity Swap Day, where students could swap outfits with a friend or dress up as someone else. Juniors Kate Grilliot and Sophie Stroud took Twin Tuesday very seriously and cloned math teacher, Mr. Sharobim. Grilliot and Stroud went all out, wearing a mustache, glasses and even bald caps.

Junior Nalia Nugara, Quinn Downing, and Senior Sophia Melita clone English teacher Ms. Lisa Martin Hudgins. (Photo by: Kyle Reeder)
Juniors Kate Grilliot and Sophie Stroud dress up as Math teacher Mr. Badr Sharobim. (Photo by: Lauren Cassano)
Junior Avery Belisle cloned English teacher, Dr. Todd Starkweather (Photo by: Kyle Reeder)

Similarly, Junior Avery Belisle dressed up as English teacher Dr. Starkweather. She replicated his long flowy hair, and even came to school with a yoga mat, in honor of his passion for yoga.

On Wednesday, Midlo participated in Past v.s. Future Day, where students took on past versions of themselves or predicted their future look.  Some dressed as infants and some brought out the canes and walkers and dressed as senior citizens.

Thursday proved to be one of the most anticipated, and most insane days as students participated in Anything but a Backpack Day. Students ditched the strapped backpacks and opted for different items. Some of the more creative backpack replacements were shopping carts, wheelbarrows, vacuums, and even a kayak!  The day got more wild by the hour as students tried navigating the halls with baby strollers, sleds, tractor tires, a dog stroller (which may or may not have been transporting an *actual dog*), and one student even used the front bumper of his car.

Junior Ma’Khi Jackson uses a portable grill as his “backpack.” Overheard in the hall: “I forgot to empty the charcoal first!” (Photo by: Kyle Reeder)
Senior Gloria Kamau brings in a cooler in substitute of her backpack. (Photo by: Kyle Reeder)
Junior Hayden Martin uses a baby stroller as his “backpack.” (Photo by: Kyle Reeder)

Sophomore Dayne Drake and freshman Will Waugh participate in Anything but a Backpack Day. (Photo by: Kyle Reeder)
Senior Kara Burke brought a portable flat-screen television in place of her backpack. (Photo by: Kyle Reeder)
Senior Paap Ampomah rides through the halls on Anything but a Backpack Day. (Photo by: Kyle Reeder)

Senior Jack Pitts paddles through the halls on Anything but a Backpack Day. (Photo by: Kyle Reeder)
Junior Michael Schmidt brought his Radio Flyer wagon to Anything but a Backpack Day. (Photo by: Kyle Reeder)
Senior John Laser brings his Little Tykes Jeep into school for Spirit Week. (Photo by: Kyle Reeder)

On Friday, students dressed head to toe in their class colors for the Spring pep rally.  This time, the theme was neon.  Freshmen dressed in green, sophomores in pink, juniors in orange and seniors in yellow.  However, seniors were unhappy with their yellow assignment and decided en masse to dress in black instead.  At lunchtime, Midlo met at the football field to enjoy a class picnic sponsored by the SCA.  There were hot dogs, hamburgers, chips and popsicles.  Then, later that day students met once again on the bleachers to participate in the Spring Pep Rally.

Freshmen dress head-to-toe in neon green for the Spring pep rally. (Photo by: Lauren Cassano)
Sophomores dress in all pink for the Spring pep rally. (Photo by: Lauren Cassano)
Juniors deck out in neon orange for the Spring pep rally. (Photo by: Lauren Cassano)
Seniors dress in black for the Spring pep rally. (Photo by: Lauren Cassano)

At the end of the pep rally, the juniors took home the Spirit Stick.  They stormed the field, making a very dramatic exit.  Everyone left the pep rally with brightened moods and excitement for Spring Break.  With all the madness and craziness this week, Spring Spirit Week was definitely a success.