Midlothian High School through the decades

Revisiting Midlo’s history: the 1940’s-60’s

Photo by: Kyle Reeder

Join us as we revisit old yearbooks of Midlothian High School and uncover some of the longest standing myths and traditions.

Behind the facade of Midlothian High School lies an endless shelf of old yearbooks, ranging from the 1940s all the way up to the current year.  Some contain hand-glued pictures and even typewritten pages.  These yearbooks are so much more than just dust-collecting, leather-backed books on the shelves of the library.  In fact, these yearbooks are a collection of countless hours, days, and years of unforgettable memories combined into one precious heirloom.  A yearbook is not only a look back into students’ lives but into a completely different time period.  Join us as we discover some of Midlothian High School’s long history of ceremonial bonfires, society taps, spring dances and over-the-top school spirit.

Midlothian High School through the decades.
Much of Midlo’s history throughout the 40’s is still prevalent at today’s Midlothian High School. However, since the 40’s, Midlothian High School has adapted from a secluded coal mining town into a quick growing community of Virginians. The original building located off Midlothian Turnpike, has now been converted into Midlothian Middle School, grades 6 through 8. The current Midlothian High School has been relocated off of Charter Colony, and continues in the footsteps of the Midlo legacy. The next article in this series will feature the 70’s and 80’s and will cover more of Midltohian’s deep history.