Midlo students combat second semester slump

Student Motivation Trends Downward during the 3rd Quarter

Photo by: Flickr

Study breaks, productive work schedules and group work sessions can help students avoid burnout during the second semester.

Every year students fall victim to the second-semester slump, a period of time during the third nine weeks when there is a general decrease in motivation for submitting assignments and completing classwork. The third quarter accounts for the lowest grades each year, with the fourth quarter coming in second. In addition, “senioritis” also tends to set in at this time, which further leads to low student performance. However, in order to combat such a period of slump, there are easy-to-follow study habits for students that can help individuals stay focused and motivated heading into the end of the school year.

Taking advantage of downtime during the school day is an excellent way to lighten the workload that can start to pile up. Midlo Mornings and breaks during classes are good opportunities to start on assignments or projects in order to avoid procrastination.

“I always try and finish my homework before the school day is over, that way I can focus on work or relax after school,” junior Jessica Harish said.

Completing assignments in a timely fashion is a valuable habit to get into, as it allows students to avoid stress and maintain high grades. Therefore, starting on school assignments the day that they are assigned, as well as taking any free time during the school day to either ask a teacher for help or work on assignments will increase efficiency and ensure that assignments are turned in on time.

However, taking short breaks during long study sessions are also important. Many students have their own strategies on how to adjust their time in order to avoid burnout, such as resting for fifteen minutes for every hour of studying.

“I like to get all my homework done in one sitting. I’ll usually take two or three breaks throughout my sitting to help get all of it done in a timely manner,” junior Vito Ciassio said.

Short rest periods allow for students to feel refreshed and not become overwhelmed by the content at hand as they act as small incentives for individuals to finish their work.

Studying with peers can also be a helpful way to stay productive, as it allows for assignments to be completed quicker. Students can work through difficult topics together in order to better understand certain areas of study and bounce ideas off each other when working on projects. Local spots where many gather to study after the final bell include Starbucks, Urban Farmhouse and the Midlothian Library.

“My friends and I walk to Urban Farmhouse a few times a week to work together on assignments and it is something I look forward to every week,” freshman Brandon Hanson said.

As the school year begins to wind down, many students may become stressed when attempting to balance their schoolwork and extracurricular activities which can contribute to heightened levels of stress. Yet, by implementing various motivation strategies, students can more easily navigate their coursework and better enjoy their final weeks heading into the fourth nine weeks.