Message from Dr. Abel

Midlo Principal’s Message: February 8, 2022

Dr.+Abel+delivers+weekly+school-wide+message+every+Tuesday.+

Photo by: Bridget Tracy

Dr. Abel delivers weekly school-wide message every Tuesday.

Believe it or not, we are nearly halfway through the 3rd nine-week marking period. Please check in with your student to see how they are doing.  If they are struggling, please reach out to their teacher to discuss strategies to help them be successful. We’re in this together and want to support your student as best we can — together.

Don’t forget that this Friday, February 11 is a student holiday – no school for students.

What’s happening

Be sure to check out our daily announcements to remain informed. Information related to club news, tutoring options, and more can often be found on our school’s daily announcements.

Daily Announcements

Click here at any time to view our daily slideshow announcements or our weekly video announcements

Click here to view this week’s video announcements

Report Cards

Semester 1 student report cards were sent home with students on Monday, January 3. Report cards for students who were absent when they were distributed can be obtained from the school counseling office.

School holidays

Feb. 11 is a student holiday/teacher workday for all Chesterfield County schools.

Presidents Day on Feb. 21 is a student and staff holiday for all Chesterfield County schools.

Click here to see all school calendars

COVID Updates

Please check out the email shared earlier today from CCPS that references the updated test to stay program for unvaccinated students who are identified as close contacts. Contact our school nurse ([email protected]) to participate in this program if you are identified as a close contact to a student or teacher who tests positive for covid.

COVID Clinics

The Virginia Department of Health has a vaccination clinic planned at Midlothian High School on Saturday, February 26 from 10 A.M. – 3 P.M.

COVID-19 vaccines are available at no cost to the public. Please note, you must register in advance. Click the school name for the full clinic flyer with QR codes for registration, or click on the vaccine you wish to get to go directly to the registration page.

Midlothian High School 

Pfizer ages 5-11

Pfizer ages 12+

Moderna ages 18+

Johnson & Johnson ages 18+

Black History Month

We are celebrating Black History month with the theme “Celebrating Representation, Identity, and Diversity!” During this time, we will celebrate and recognize the contributions that African Americans have made to our country. Friday’s will be spirit days as we celebrate the culture! We ask your student to wear the colors below on each Friday!

• 2nd Friday (2/11) – Student Holiday / Staff Work Day
  • 3rd (2/18) – Green
  • 4th (2/ 25) – Black

For all things Black History related, check out the Black History Hub! bit.ly/midloblackhistoryhub

Student Opportunities

The Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership at UVA is seeking students to apply for the High School Leaders Program. The program will be housed on the campus of UVA from July 9 – July 23, 2022. Additional information can be found here!

Check out this unique opportunity presented by the FBI’s Richmond Field Office. Juniors and seniors for the 2022-2023 school year are invited to apply to our Teen Academy to see first-hand the exciting work the FBI does. Students will hear from special agents and intelligence analysts on topics including counterterrorism, cyber crime and civil rights and will participate in hands-on activities with our forensics evidence collection team and bomb techs. Our recruitment team and college interns will be on-site to answer questions about career paths and future employment.

The Teen Academy is a free program that will be held at our office in Richmond on July 26 and 27, 2022.  The application is available now through March 4, 2022.

Scheduling Update

Counselors continue meeting with juniors to discuss courses for next year and have conversations about post graduations plans. We are expected to start meeting with tenth-grade students on February 14, 2022.

African American History is an honors-level course that will be offered next year. Students in grades 10-12 are eligible to take the course. This is an excellent opportunity to learn about another culture and the many contributions African Americans have made to our country. For more information, view the video here.

PTSO News

The next PTSO meeting will be held Wednesday, February 9 at 7 P.M. at Midlothian HS in the library. All PTSO members are always welcome to attend.

Post-Prom Party Volunteers Needed!

Prom will be here before we know it! Help us help our kids to celebrate safely after they attend prom. Post Prom is scheduled for 4/23 from 11:30 P.M. – 2 A.M., located at the school.

We are looking for committee heads to run specific parts of the party. You may chair alone or with a favorite co-chair. We need chairs to: organize the food, coordinate the volunteers, organize the game setup and tear down, and organize the setup and tear down of the event. We have contact information and the previous chair’s plans to help you out!

Please email Damien Dames [email protected] or Kristen Sanders Walton at [email protected] to volunteer.

Bravo Awards!

Do you know a Midlothian HS graduate who has gone on to achieve greatness or make a significant contribution in some form? If so, then please consider nominating a Midlothian alum to be recognized as a Bravo award winner.

A Bravo award is like the Oscars for Chesterfield County Public Schools, designed to recognize the best of the best among our graduates. Help me to recognize the amazing accomplishments of our graduates and add to the display of Bravo recipient banners along our main hallway by nominating a deserving Midlothian grad for this prestigious award.

We currently have the most Bravo Award recognitions in CCPS and I’m confident we will continue to do so.  Click here to submit your nomination.

Scholarship Opportunity

Delta Chapter of Alpha Delta Kappa is offering a $1,500 scholarship to CCPS graduating seniors who are planning to pursue careers in the education profession.  Information and application for the scholarship can be found here.

The criteria and student responsibilities are stated on the first page; the second page is the application. The completed application must be received by  [email protected] no later than Tuesday, March 15, 2022. Any questions may be addressed to Donna Crane, at [email protected]. The application itself must be completed and submitted electronically.

Attention Junior Students

Hopefully, everyone has taken a few minutes to discuss and maybe even review the PSAT results your student received a few weeks ago.  As you may recall, CCPS is providing all junior-level students the opportunity to complete the SAT during the school day on March 23, 2022, at no cost. If you are interested in having your student participate please complete this form https://bit.ly/SATPrepMidlo. 

In an effort to help prepare our students for the March 23 SAT, Midlothian High School would like to provide the following opportunities:

An English and Math SAT preparation session on February 16, and February 23 from 3:10 P.M. – 4:45 P.M. right here at Midlothian High School (Room assignments will be provided on February 16, 2022).

A practice SAT practice test session on Saturday, March 5, beginning at 8:30 A.M., right here at Midlothian High School (exact locations TBA later). The practice SAT session will run approximately 3 ½ hours.

Students must bring their Chromebooks, scrap paper, a calculator, and a #2 pencil for the mock SAT test. Pizza, snacks, and drinks will be provided at each session.

The deadline to submit registration is Tuesday, February 8, 2022. Payment of $10 can be made online via OSP or via cash/check in the School Counseling office before or after school.

Directions for OSP:

• Select Midlothian High School at the website
  • Search for the word SAT
  • Make your payment

We plan to host our first introductory meeting with all registered students tomorrow, Wednesday, February 9, 2022 during Midlo Morning (in the auditorium)

Mirror Me Program

The Mirror Me program aims to recruit and retain teachers of varied backgrounds by increasing the number of minority teachers and promoting the importance of the teaching profession. To support this effort, CCPS has partnered with Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) and Virginia State University (VSU)  to build pathways for students to pursue higher education in teacher-preparation programs and become teachers in Chesterfield County.

Current CCPS  juniors and seniors enrolled in their teacher-prep program are eligible to apply to be part of the Mirror Me program.  

All interested students, who meet the eligibility requirements, should complete the Mirror Me application, which can be accessed here. The application asks for applicants’ personal information, school information, transcript and a written statement. Applications can be submitted electronically and are due by 11:59 P.M., Friday, Mar 18, 2022.

Athletic News

Good luck to all our winter sports athletes as basketball wraps up the regular season and indoor track, wrestling, and swimming begin regional competition Feb. 10-12.  Check out our daily announcements and school website for additional details, such as opponent, location, and time. Please note that ALL REGION and STATE events tickets must be purchased on GoFan.co and NO CASH ACCEPTED. Please use this link for ALL Region Events Tickets- https://gofan.co/app/school/VA86980

The final regular season games are Wednesday (Boys Basketball Senior Night) and Friday vs. Cosby.

Region Games/Events: All tickets available- https://gofan.co/app/school/VA86980

2/10-Swim @ SwimRVA-11am

2/11, 2/12- Wrestling at Clover Hill HS

2/11, 2/12- Track at Glen Allen

Congratulations

The following students were selected to the 2022 VBODA District 3 All-District Band. This number represents the most students Midlothian HS had selected in years. Congratulations to each of them and our awesome band program.

Evan Amesbury 2nd chair Wind Ensemble Alto Sax*

Bart Bontrager 1st chair Symphonic Band Bass Clarinet

Eli Carll 4th chair Wind Ensemble F Horn*

Casper Donner 1st chair Wind Ensemble Trombone*

Samuel Huff 4th chair Wind Ensemble Percussion*

Megan Hurt 3rd chair flute and 1st chair piccolo Symphonic Band*

Aaron Liu 1st chair Wind Ensemble Bb Clarinet*

Muzammil Lodi 1st chair Wind Ensemble Oboe*

Aiden Oberle 3rd chair Wind Ensemble Percussion*

Hayden Stanek 1st chair Symphonic Band Oboe

Adam Burke 3rd chair Symphonic Band Trumpet

* Indicates students who placed high enough in their sections that they are now eligible to audition for All-Virginia Band and Orchestra at the end of the month.

In addition, the following students were selected to be a part of the All-District Concert Band.

Olivia Cottrell 1st chair Bari Sax

Joshua Williams 1st chair Tenor Sax

Jack Laser 3rd chair Trombone

Jacob Williams 2nd chair Tuba

Michael Rodriguez 3rd chair Tuba

Spencer Jackson – 2nd ALTERNATE Euphonium

Chloe Young – 2nd ALTERNATE Flute

CCPSOnline registration opens Feb. 1 for the 2022-23 school year and summer

CCPSOnline offers a comprehensive catalog of high school credit classes taught by Chesterfield County Public Schools teachers. Students can take one, two or all of their classes in a no-walls, no-bells, no-limits virtual environment. Part-time students take courses to free space in their schedule, access those not offered at their school or get ahead of graduation requirements. Full-time students leverage the flexibility of online learning to meet the unique needs of their lifestyle. Students should talk to their school counselor about including CCPSOnline in their schedule. Registration runs Feb. 1 – April 29 for the 2022-23 school year and for summer 2022.

Attention all Student-Athletes – an important  message from your Athletic Trainer

Midlothian HS is going to begin the spring season with a new “Tryout Card” system in place. Please review the flyer for more information and pick-up dates for the 2022 spring season. This will be implemented next year for all seasons, so please take a look in order to be familiar with the expectations for next year. New dates will be communicated appropriately for future seasons. This will reduce coaches having to sign players up or players not having proper paperwork on the day of tryouts.

Online registration via: midlothian.rschoolteams.com is required for each athlete to try out for a sport. In addition to the required forms, each athlete MUST retrieve a tryout card to turn in to the coach on the first day of tryouts signifying they have all necessary paperwork turned in.

Spring Sports begin Feb 21, 2022

Support PTSO

Students don’t forget you can purchase Midlo stickers during lunches starting Feb. 1 – 4 for $2 exact change.  

COVID-19 testing Info

Nominate an outstanding teacher for an R.E.B. Award

Nominate outstanding #oneCCPS teachers for R.E.B. Awards for Teaching Excellence! The program is accepting nominations through 5 P.M. Feb. 22. About 15 outstanding central Virginia teachers are selected each year to receive amazing grants up to $15,000 to support professional development. Award winners have earned graduate degrees, climbed mountains, traced their ancestors and met peers from around the world — all to reignite their own passion for learning and to pass it on to their students. Eligibility requirements, deadlines and instructions can be found at www.cfrichmond.org/reb.

Course Selection – Counselor Meetings

Individual student scheduling meetings with students will start the week of January 24 and conclude on March 11, 2022. At that time, counselors will discuss course selections for next year, graduation requirements and post-graduation plans.

Attention Seniors!

2021-22 Graduation Ceremony

Mark your calendars for 7 P.M. Monday, May 23, 2022, at the Siegel Center. More information to share as the date nears.

Scholarship Opportunities

Please click here (and check back frequently for updates) for updated scholarship information