Message from Dr. Abel

Midlo Principal’s Message: January 5, 2021

Principals+Message

Photo by: Bridget Tracy

Principal’s Message

Greetings, Midlothian Community. This is your principal, Shawn Abel, with your weekly message.  

Happy New Year, Midlo Community! We’ve only been back for a few days so this week’s message will be relatively short. A few days ago, I shared some important updates, which are intended to positively impact students as they navigate through virtual learning. Please click here to read that message and as always, do not hesitate to contact any member of the Midlo faculty if you have any questions. Remember, we are in this together.

Yearbook Information

Did you miss your opportunity to pick up your 2019-2020 yearbook before our winter break? If so, fear not. We are providing our students another opportunity to obtain their yearbook this Thursday between 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. Students should pick up their yearbook at Door 1 (the main office). Click here for more details.

Attention Seniors!

Don’t forget to check out the scholarship opportunities by clicking here.  Below, I have shared two recently communicated opportunities.  

• Black History Month Leadership for the 21st Century: Open to all CCPS seniors (including those who attend either of the two regional Governor’s schools or CodeRVA) who plan to attend a Virginia college or university. Completed application packets are due to Ms. Speller by WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 6 by 12PM -NO EXCEPTIONS
  • The Justin Matthew Rogers scholarship for 2020-2021: Available for CCPS seniors who plan to further their education in the behavioral health field. See here for more information. DEADLINE: April 15, 2021
  • Chris Jones Innovator Award: Open to Virginia students who meet the following criteria: resident of Virginia, graduating senior and will be enrolled full-time as an undergraduate upon graduation. Details may be found at www.mmbcrva.org/innovate DEADLINE: February 7, 2021

News from our Director of Student Activities and Athletics

• Winter Sports Season is underway as we begin our first basketball games, wrestling and swim meets this week. We do understand that watching and supporting student-athletes in-person is very important. Due to continued COVID-19 protocols in place, game attendance will be different this year.
  • Cheerleaders, parents, guardians, students and staff will have various opportunities to watch winter sports this year. Attendance information and opportunities will be communicated through coaches and athletes.
  • Please note the following protocols for game attendance:
  • Game attendance is limited to 25 individuals per night/location (cheerleaders, parents, guardians, students, etc.) in the gym areas
  • When available, streaming access will be provided for the various events.
  • Track Meets will not have spectators at this time.
  • Weekly updates will be given as to the groups that will be able to watch the games or meets in-person
  • When available, ticket costs are $7.
  • We also welcome our New Trainer & Midlo Grad – Mrs. Emily Huss
  • Boys and Girls Basketball & Wrestling will honor Seniors at their opening games. Senior Parents will receive tickets to these events. Please see your student-athletes for tickets.
  • Girls Basketball & Wrestling – 1/6/21 @5:50pm
  • Boys Basketball – 1/11/21 @7pm
  • Swim Meets at SwimRVA will not have spectators at all. They will stream games for each event and the link will be provided to the coaches and swimmers.
  • Students who wish to attend conditioning for any fall or spring team must have a CURRENT VHSL PHYSICAL FORM on file before attending workouts. All FORMS MUST be submitted online on our athletic website. Please make sure your student-athlete checks out the morning announcements on the Virtual Hub for more information. Boys Soccer will have an Interest Meeting on Jan. 7th @5pm. Please check out the morning announcements for the link.
  • Please follow Midlothian Athletics on the various Social Media Platforms and websites listed below to stay current with any changes and updates.

Bravo Awards!

Do you know a Midlothian HS graduate who has gone on to achieve greatness or make a significant contribution in some form? If so, then please consider nominating a Midlo alum to be recognized as a Bravo award winner. A Bravo award is like the Oscars (minus the quirky speeches), designed to recognize the best of the best among Chesterfield County Public Schools’ graduates. Help me add to the display of Bravo recipient banners outside of our Auditorium by nominating a deserving Midlo grad for this prestigious award. I’m confident we have some Midlo graduates who are athletes, entertainers, doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs, and more, who should be considered for a Chesterfield Bravo award.  Click here to submit your nomination.

Virtual Schedule and Resources

We will continue to update our Virtual Learning Hub with helpful links and information. For now, the hub includes our weekly schedule and an FAQ document.

What’s up with Wednesdays

Yes, it’s true.  Wednesdays are not like our typical school days. However, please check out our schedule for Wednesdays as our faculty members are available in a variety of ways to support our students. Also, please encourage your student(s) to wake up at the same time and work independently on their school work throughout the day.  A phenomenal skill to acquire is the ability to problem solve on their own and our Wednesdays are wonderful opportunities to develop this skill.  Please click here to view a short audio explanation of our virtual school schedule, with a focus on Wednesdays. Remind your student to complete this form when they enter a class where they are receiving support from a teacher on Wednesdays. Only complete the form when they attend a Wednesday support session. Students can also access the form by typing in the following address: bit.ly/MidloSupport.

Click here to check out these social work resources available to our students and families.

Attention Juniors!

Reminder – If your student plans on taking the PSAT/NMQST on January 26,2021, you need to complete the pre-registration here. Completing this form will assure that we are expecting your student on Tuesday, January 26th. Transportation will be provided – if needed. To prepare for test day, 11th graders should review the attached Student Guide. Also, CollegeBoard® has provided accessible practice tools on their Practice webpage: full-length paper/pencil practice tests, sample questions, and the Khan Academy portal. More information will be shared in the near future about the test day schedule and instructions.

In closing, I know we have challenged our faculty and students to try new strategies, work together, and demonstrate resilience in an effort to help our students be as successful as possible. Now, here is a challenge for our parents. Try to check ParentVue each Tuesday night to best determine how to utilize Wednesday support sessions. I know we want our students to manage their own workload, but many need our help right now more than ever. Have a wonderful week and be on the lookout for our first “real” snowfall later this week. 🙂 Thank you for your ongoing support, and as always, Go Midlo!!!!!!!                

Previously shared information

From the Career Center

GRASP/College Funding Group Scholarship program: join these community organizations for an evening of Q & A for students and parents about scholarships and how to access them. The event (virtual) is TONIGHT – Tuesday, December 15 @ 5:30pm. Register to attend HERE. GRASP Appointments: meet with Midlothian’s GRASP Advisor, Janet Andrews, on Tuesdays 10am – 4 pm (ongoing through April) to learn about college financial aid. Link here: https://calendly.com/midlothian. Janet Andrews will be available over Winter Break as well to help SENIORS complete the FAFSA. Contact her at [email protected] or text (804) 223 0854 – for virtual assistance.

Financial Aid Workshop slideshow: Did you miss the December 1st program with Belinda Hill, University of Richmond Financial Aid officer? Click on the slideshow link for Ms. Hill’s overview of financial aid and college costs: navigating the FAFSA and CSS Profile forms, understanding the different aid available, and comparing college funding packages. She can be contacted for general questions about financial aid at [email protected].

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form: complete the form which is available NOW. Apply here: https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa 

Midlothian Scholarship List: bookmark this list to find scholarship opportunities for graduating seniors. Our list is slim right now but will expand – beginning in January.

ACT/SAT Strategy Workshops – VCU’s Office of Continuing and Professional Education will host several FREE live – online Workshops (Tuesday, January 26 and Wednesday, April 14) for a combined introduction to both tests. The focus will include key similarities and differences, sample questions and strategies. Even though colleges may waive the SAT or ACT testing option for admissions, some scholarships may still require a score in order to apply. Click on the link HERE to register.

Juniors and Seniors: now is the time to look for (virtual) internships for Summer 2021.  These opportunities help to shape career interests and planning. Check out this program… VCU’s Medical Science Internship Program.  Apply now for summer.

Semester 1 Exams

Please note that Semester 1 exams, that were previously scheduled for Dec 15th – Dec 18th, have been cancelled. The scheduled early release days will now become regular school days.

Chromebook Support

If you need a Chromebook or assistance with your Chromebook, please visit our CCPS Chromebook basics site for details and locations. For access to the site click here. Please be sure to revisit this website as the school division will update this site periodically.

Internet Connectivity Issues?

Students who need home internet access and participate in the National School Lunch Program can register for information from Comcast for free internet. Visit learnfromhome.ccpsnet.net to register.  Families will need to complete the process with Comcast to receive this service. Please call the Midlothian HS front office (804-378-2440) if you need internet connectivity support, but do not qualify for the National School Lunch program. We will add your name to a need list, assess your situation, and provide the best support available.

Library Curbside Service

With our move back to virtual our school library is shifting back to Curbside Library. All the books your heart desires are now available for pick up every Wednesday from 2:00pm to 4:00pm and by appointment. Students can order books by going to bit.ly/midlocurbside.

How to have messages sent directly to your student

Do you want to be in the know? Well, if your parents are not sharing the information they receive from our Midlo messages, then sign up now to receive the messages directly to your own phone and email. To do so, simply complete this form or visit bit.ly/MidloMessages, to receive messages directly to your mobile phone and email. Remember, students do not have a school-issued email with their id#@ccpsnet.net. That address only allows access to their google drives and related resources. Ask around, these messages are all the rage, don’t be left on the outside looking in. Sign up now!

Mental Health Support

If you and/or your teen are in need of strategies or support for Anxiety or other Mental Health Needs, please visit the Mental Health Resources section of the Virtual Learning Hub. Our “Online Relaxation Room” is one resource your teen will find in the Midlo Suite Spot:.”

A message from the Midlothian HS PTSO

The PTSO board would like to welcome any ​PTSO Member​ to our monthly meetings. We meet the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00 pm. Please email us at [email protected]​ ​if you would like to attend a meeting.  At this time we cannot have open meetings. We will either meet over a Zoom meeting or limited number in person meeting. We also are looking for volunteers to help organize our events this year. Please email us at [email protected]​ to learn more about upcoming opportunities.

Don’t forget to enroll in the Community Rewards Programs. These local community partners donate a percentage of anyone’s purchases to the MHS PTSO and reduces the need for additional fundraising.  

•       Kroger Cares. Go to www.kroger.com/communityrewards and follow the steps provided to create an account and link it.  Enter 82948 in the “Find an Organization” search box.
  •       Publix Partners. Go to www.publix.com and Log in or Sign Up. Select “My Account” and select by scrolling the right arrow to “My Publix Partner”. Enter “Midlothian High School” in the search box, select MHS and then select “Update”.
  •       Amazon.  Offers 0.5% funds on eligible purchases to nonprofit organizations through the Amazon Smiles program. Amazon customers can register by logging onto smile.amazon.com. Enter your Amazon account information and then search Midlothian High School PTSO to select the organization.

Did your student miss an announcement?

Fear not, our morning announcements can be found on our school website – just scroll down to the section titled, “Morning Announcements”. For example, you can learn very important information, such as, today is National Homemade Cookies day.