A New Beginning

Midlothian High School Graduation, 2016

The Class of 2016 celebrates!

On June 11, 2016, the students of the Midlothian High School’s Class of 2016 joined together one last time to celebrate their achievements at their graduation ceremony at the VCU Siegel Center. After waiting patiently behind the scenes for the ceremony to begin, seniors proudly entered the Siegel Center to Pomp and Circumstance, beautiful performed by the Midlothian High School Band, led by Mr. Gordon Rawls. Teachers and parents watched with equal pride as the Class of 2016 marched onto the floor in swift and elegant organization, thanks to class sponsors Mrs. Carolyn Manheim and Mr. Chris Eliot. Class President Francesca ‘Frankie’ Urcia began the festivities, asking everyone to stand for The Pledge of Allegiance and the traditional singing of The Star Spangled Banner, sung by the Midlothian High School Chorus, led by Mrs. Michelle Graham. Urcia’s welcome speech resonated with each graduate, as she reminisced on the special moments she had shared with many of those in the Class of 2016.

Mrs. Leslie Haley, member of the Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors, followed Urcia and described the utmost sentimentality of the event, especially since this year, she would witness her son’s graduation as well. The next speaker, Dr. Javaid Siddiqi of the Chesterfield County School Board, left the audience with words of wisdom, congratulating students on coming this far and wishing them the best in the future. Dr. Marcus Newsome offered his final pieces of advice and congratulations to the seniors, along with a special surprise for Katheryn Osmond and Frankie Urcia, who each received a $1,000 scholarship from Chesterfield County for the Superintendent’s Award.

Following Dr. Newsome, International Baccalaureate student Bethany Burtch gave the first of the student speeches. Detailing an interest in entomology, Burtch challenged the Class of 2016 to live lives of passion and find a balance between working hard and relaxing. Next, Frankie Urcia encouraged her fellow classmates to live fully and happily, taking her own tendency to laugh often as a key to the successes she has enjoyed.

Before Mrs. Denise Bowes announced the top ten students, the chorus performed The Road Home. Principal Shawn Abel gave his final four pieces of advice to the graduating class, expressing his pride in the level of intellect and drive displayed by the Class of 2016. He then called on Assistant Principal Denise Bowes to begin announcing the graduates to receive their diplomas.  After Mrs. Bowes had called each student’s name, Mr. Abel, amid cheers and throwing of caps, declared all seniors as graduates of Midlothian High School, asking them to move their tassels from the right to the left. The ceremony concluded with the exit of the class, as the band played Brahm’s Finale.  As is Midlothian tradition, the graduates of the Class of 2016 exited the Siegel Center through a double line of Midlo faculty, anxious to give them hugs and well wishes until they meet again.

Outside the Siegel Center stood families and friends of the graduates, who applauded the Class of 2016 on such a momentous occasion and wished them well for the road ahead.

Class of 2016 Top Ten

Angelica Lavan, Valedictorian

Matthew Cousins, Salutatorian

Chase Boettner

Frankie Urcia

Ian Burnett

Kate Muehlbauer

Jane Goodwin

Malia Wing

Sarah Holland

April Brady

Congratulations, Class of 2016!

We will miss you!

Curious about our graduates’ plans for the future? Check out Where Will They Go?.

Did you miss Senior Class Day?  Check out Celebrating Seniors in Style.

The votes are in…. Click here for Senior Superlatives.