Midlo Math Department Welcomes Mr. Layton and Ms. Johnson

Mr. Adam Layton and Ms. Nicole Johnson, Math Department

Mr. Layton and Ms. Johnson join our Midlo math team.

Midlothian High School would like to welcome our newest math teachers, Ms. Nicole Johnson and Midlo alumni Mr. Adam Layton. Ms. Johnson, who studied at the College of William & Mary is starting her third year in education. Mr. Layton, a Midlothian High School graduate himself, attended Virginia Commonwealth University, and is his tenth year teaching. He also serves as the head coach of the Varsity Girls Basketball team. Midlo Scoop caught up with Mr. Layton and Ms. Johnson to learn more about them.

Coach Layton, what is one thing that really surprised or stood out to you when you came back to teach at Midlo?

The thing that surprised me the most was how similar it was to when I was a student here. I graduated in 2000, and the teachers and students are still great.

When did you decide you wanted to become an educator?

I graduated from college in 2005 and then worked for Sentry Insurance for a few years and then Wachovia Securities for a few years. However, I always knew I wanted to be around students. My wife was a teacher at James River, and I really felt like being a teacher and a coach would give me the chance to help students reach their goals and be a mentor to students.

What do you like to do outside of teaching?

I keep busy with church activities, watching Cardinal baseball, coaching the Girls Basketball Team, playing sports, and hanging out with my wife and two boys (7 & 4).   

What is your biggest life achievement?

My biggest life achievement is a tough question. I feel like I have so much to achieve. I have been blessed with an amazing family, a phenomenal wife, and two sons who I adore. My biggest life achievement will be to see my sons grow up to be men who show the love of God to everyone around them.

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go, and what would you do there?

I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri, and still have several family members there. We usually go there at least once a year, but I would love to go back to watch the Cardinals win the World Series.

Ms. Johnson, what do you love most about your job at Midlo?

I love the students! You all are so much fun to work with because y’all know the balance of working and playing hard.

What do your students mean to you?

They are the reason I am excited to come to work every day. I know math is not everyone’s favorite subject (even though it should be!), so I really appreciate the level of effort and engagement my students give me in class.

When I say Midlo, what is the first word that pops into your head and why?

Community. Everyone (students, faculty, and staff) is looking out for each other here at Midlo and want each other to succeed.

If you had one wish, what would it be and why?

Endless Belgian waffles. I could literally eat waffles for every meal (Leslie Knope speaks to my soul).

What is something about yourself that you would like people to know about you?

My passion outside of teaching is singing. I used to be in an a cappella group when I went to William & Mary, so you are always welcome to stop by and talk music with me (whether you are my student or not).