World Language Department Welcomes New Teachers

New Language Teachers 2018

The+fresh+faces+of+the+World+Language+Department+begin+their+year+at+Midlo.+

Photo by: Mrs. Blair Abrahamson

The fresh faces of the World Language Department begin their year at Midlo.

The World Language Department welcomes five new teachers to Midlo: Spanish teachers Ms. Jessica Green, Ms. Linda Szwabowski, and Ms. Ellen Murnane, as well as Latin teacher Mr. Louis Ferro, and finally, French teacher Ms. Hannah Foster.

• Ms. Green attended the University of Richmond and received her Master’s at George Mason University. This will be her 11th year teaching.
  • Ms. Szabowski received her doctorate degree at VCU and now has worked in education for 32 years; however, she left the classroom 11 years ago to work as the Instructional Specialist for World Languages in Chesterfield County.
  • Ms. Murnane attended Virginia Tech and is starting her fourth year teaching. Over the last three years, she has spent her time teaching at Salem Church Middle School.
  • Mr. Ferro attended the University of Virginia, and this will be his 5th year teaching.
  • Ms. Foster also attended the University of Virginia and worked as an English Language assistant in France last year. This is her first year teaching at an American school.

The Midlo family welcomes the fresh faces of the World Language Department!

Mr. Louis Ferro, Latin

What do you like to do outside of school?

“Outside of school,  I like to play board games with my friends, go to the park to play disc golf, read (especially Stephen King), and watch as many Washington Nationals baseball games as I can! “

Who inspires you the most?                                                                           “I have always been very inspired by my father.  All my life he’s always been the hardest working person I’ve ever met, and he has really taught me a lot about what it means to be dedicated to something even when it’s difficult and exhausting.”                          

What inspired you to teach Latin?                                                                                                                     

When I was in high school, I distinctly remember my Latin teacher beginning my AP Latin class with a pitch for why the world needed not only more teachers, but more Latin teachers. I have always remembered that moment and everything that he taught me as I chose to become a Latin teacher.”

If you could be an animal, what animal would you be and why?                                                                             I would absolutely choose to be a cat! Cats always seem so relaxed and get to lie around the house all day without anyone disturbing them.”

Ms. Linda Szabowski, Spanish

“I like to create fun activities for Spanish class, hang out with family, read, and swim.”

Who inspires you the most?

“My students, of course!”

What inspired you to teach Spanish?

“My two biggest influences were my high school French teacher,  Nicole Hamilton, and my high school Spanish teacher, Aimee Simpson. Both women were passionate about their students and the languages which they taught,  exhibited strength of character, did not allow any bullying to take place on their hallway, and strove every day to widen the worldview of their students.”

If you could be an animal, what animal would you be and why?

” I would either like to be a cuttlefish (because they are good at problem-solving & can adapt to their environments by changing their appearance) or a manatee (because they seem easy-going & nice).”

Ms. Foster, French

“I love to travel, read, visit museums, and exercise. ” 

Who inspires you the most?

“Many people inspire me – my family and friends, former professors, my students, and all of my wonderful colleagues at MHS.”

What inspired you to teach French?

I tutored French and Arabic at VCU, and, along with my time spent teaching in France, I found that I really enjoyed working with students.  I’m also really passionate about languages and other cultures, so getting to work with students and talk about what I love is very rewarding.”

I would probably be a dog because then I could just sleep all day, haha. “

Mrs. Green, Spanish

“Outside of school, I love to try new restaurants, do yoga, travel, hang out with friends and neighbors, and visit my family in Chicago. Most importantly, I love being a mom to my three year old Charlotte.”

Who inspires you the most?

“As silly as this sounds, my daughter inspires me the most. She inspires me to be a better version of myself every day.”

What inspired you to teach Spanish?

“My grandma inspired me to teach Spanish. She was a Spanish teacher for 30+ years.”

“If I could be any animal, I would be a Golden Retriever puppy. We grew up with Golden Retrievers, and they are the most loyal, playful, and loving animals who are wonderful with children.”

Ms. Murnane, Spanish

What do you like to do outside of school?

“Outside of school I like to play with my dog, read books, and cook.  During the summer, I like to surf, and during the winter, I like to snowboard.”

Who inspires you the most?

“Overall, people who live life to the fullest inspire me, whether that is someone who has a big dream and is actively pursuing it, or someone who always ventures to try new things. People with a zest for life energize and inspire me to do the most in my own day-to-day life.”

What inspired you to teach Spanish?

“My Spanish teachers and professors inspired me to become a teacher.  They gave me the foundation to take Spanish into my own hands to use to travel and work abroad, and I hope to give my own students that same foundation so they can experience the same (if not better) experiences that I did!”

“I would be a bird because I have always secretly wanted the ability to fly.”

Welcome to Midlo!