Economic Competitors Converge

State Economics Governor's Challenge of 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Economic Competitors Converge

The Midlothian High School team for The Governor's Challenge for Economics and Personal Finance includes: Miranda Houston, Alessandra Taliaferro, Victoria

The Midlothian High School team for The Governor's Challenge for Economics and Personal Finance includes: Miranda Houston, Alessandra Taliaferro, Victoria "Ruby" Willoughby and Evan Fournet, who competed on April 20, 2018, at Capital One in Richmond, VA.

Photo by: Monica Van Arsdale

Photo by: Monica Van Arsdale

Photo by: Monica Van Arsdale

On Friday, April 20, 2018, the State Economics Governor’s Challenge took place at Capital One in Richmond, VA, and a group of Midlo’s elite economics students. Juniors Alessandra Taliaferro, Evan Fournet, Victoria “Ruby” Willoughby, and senior Miranda Houston, were chosen by Economics and Personal Finance teacher Mrs. Monica Van Arsdale to partake in the David Ricardo Division challenge, a competition in which up to 12 teams in each division compete in the championship. Dressed to impress, they left school for a field trip they would remember forever. Fournet shared, “The best part of the trip was being with my friends.”

From 11:00 am to 2:30 pm, it was game time. Schools across Virginia competed for the spot at Nationals, which will be held New York. All of the teams waited patiently before an instructor administered the individual test; later, the group also completed a test.  The determining score to compete in the Quiz Bowl was compiled from the individual scores for each group averaged together. After testing, the four Midlothian students sat in an auditorium, waiting for their results.  Finally, announcers recognized all of the teams, and the competitors who advanced faced off in the Quiz Bowl to determine the top team. Appomattox Regional Governor’s School took the win for the day.

Following the announcement, the competitors enjoyed lunch together and savored the experience. Houston disagreed with Fournet, arguing, “My favorite part was the lunch.” After lunch, the Midlo team watched personal finance teams go through a similar process. Taliaferro remembers the day fondly, saying, “Even though we didn’t score high, it was still a good experience, and I would do it again.”

About the Writer
  • Economic Competitors Converge

Clubs and Activities

Midlo Students Show Love of Latin

• Economic Competitors Converge

Clubs and Activities

Interact Club Decorates the Doorways

• Economic Competitors Converge

Clubs and Activities

DECA Officers Deliver Subway in RVA

• Economic Competitors Converge

Clubs and Activities

RAMPS Helps Neighbors in Need

• Economic Competitors Converge

Clubs and Activities

Midlo Students Walk to End Alzheimer’s

• Economic Competitors Converge

Clubs and Activities

Midlo Rocks Virginia DECA Day

• Economic Competitors Converge

Clubs and Activities

Girls Who Code Close the Gender Gap

• Economic Competitors Converge

Clubs and Activities

Walk to End Alzheimer’s This November

• Economic Competitors Converge

Clubs and Activities

Freshmen and Transfer Students Attend Midlo Club Fair

• Economic Competitors Converge

Clubs and Activities

Latin Students Unite in Celebration

Economic Competitors Converge