Mr. Fletcher Earns March TRT Award

Mrs. Morris passes the Teachers Recognizing Teachers Award to Mr. Fletcher

Photo by: Katherine Krievs

Mr. Taylor Fletcher celebrates his Teachers Recognizing Teachers award.

In March, Midlo English teacher Mrs. Beth Morris passed the Teachers Recognizing Teachers Award to Midlo’s Orchestra teacher, Mr. Taylor Fletcher. Mrs. Morris felt “blown away during the Winter Concert” and found “Jinwoo Kim’s solo performance very impressive”.  Once an excited student at Midlo, Mr. Fletcher has worked tirelessly to revolutionize Midlo’s orchestra program and encourage every student to reach for the stars.

What inspired you to become an orchestra teacher?

When I was in high school, I loved being in the orchestra because it was something bigger and broader than myself.  I knew I wanted to pursue music, and when I got to college and began that path, I discovered the joys of teaching music to kids. As an orchestra teacher, I can make an impact on many lives while I do what I love.

Describe your favorite aspect of teaching.

Teaching really is the best job ever. I love the basic aspects, like when I stand and teach a new concept, and I can see the light bulb go off in their minds. As an orchestra teacher, I love seeing forty students from different backgrounds come together and play forty different instruments that create a beautiful piece of music.

What instruments do you play?

I play the bass, my main instrument, as well as the cello, violin, viola, mandolin, guitar, banjo, and piano.

How do you spend your free time?

At home, I spend most of my time hanging out with my wife and baby, but I also play some music.

What is an interesting fact about yourself?

At 6’ 7”, I am the second tallest teacher at Midlo. Mr. Spewak is the tallest.

How do you feel about receiving this award?

I feel so honored to receive this award. I’m only a second-year teacher, so I really shouldn’t be receiving it. While I’ve been here, the other teachers have brought me in, and Midlo feels like home. The continuation and survival of this award would not be possible without the teachers caring about one another.

Congratulations, Mr. Fletcher!