Mrs. Morris Earns February TRT Award

Mrs. Murfee passes the Teachers Recognizing Teachers Award to Mrs. Morris

Photo by: Katherine Krievs

Mrs. Elizabeth Morris celebrates her Teachers Recognizing Teachers award.

In February, Midlo’s school librarian Mrs. Heather Murfee passed the Teachers Recognizing Teachers Award to Midlo English teacher, Mrs. Beth Morris. Mrs. Murfee describes Mrs. Morris as her “MLA citation spirit animal,” when expressing her gratitude towards Mrs. Morris for her endless energy and excitement. Additionally, Mrs. Murfee mentioned how Mrs. Morris earned this award by assigning an outstanding PBL project.

What inspired you to become an English teacher?

I’ve always wanted to be an English teacher.  I’d say I was called to this profession because I really can’t remember a time when I didn’t want to teach.  I was especially inspired by my high school AP Literature teacher, who taught us to find the hidden meaning in an author’s work.  I thought her ability to find that hidden meaning was magical, and I wanted have that magical power.  Now I do!

How do you spend your free time?

I work out a lot.  I wake up at 4 am to go to the gym before school, and I spend three or four hours running or lifting weights on the weekend.  As you might imagine, I read a lot too.  When I really get going, I’ll read a book a week.

Describe your favorite aspect of teaching.

Students! There is truly no other profession where you get to laugh as much as I do, and my students crack me up sometimes!  I’m really passionate about getting kids to think creatively, too.  I don’t want learning to be about the grade — I want it to be about having innovative ideas and communicating them well.  When I see my students really embrace this concept, I feel like I’ve done my job.  

How do you feel about receiving this award?

I’m beyond honored!  Mrs. Murfee called me her “MLA Spirit Animal,” and I think I’m going to add it to my email signature.  Mrs. Murfee is possibly the most energetic, passionate, and dedicated educator I have ever worked with, so to receive this award from her is twice the honor.  I love Midlo so much, and this award felt like Midlo loving me back!

Congratulations, Mrs. Morris!