Filed under A & E

Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

What to Watch During the Halloween Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

Carving pumpkins is the best way, besides movies and trick or treating, to celebrate Halloween.

Photo by: The B's

Photo by: The B's

Photo by: The B's

With Friday the 13th quickly creeping towards us, it’s time to break out the DVDs and the popcorn. What better time to watch scary movies than on one of the scariest days of the year? Unfortunately, picking just one movie to watch is practically impossible for movie lovers.

The go to favorite horror Halloween movies this year are: IT and Annabelle: Creation.  Viewers who like to be on the edge of their seats will love IT, which centers around a drain-dwelling clown who lures children into the sewers and turns them into demonic and horrifying creatures. Annabelle: Creation is much like IT because of the child focus of the movie. A possessed doll, a childhood toy that many of us have had in the past, creates the main focus of a horror film made with the intention to give viewers nightmares.

For the less daring, some classic lighthearted movies to watch with the family are: Halloween Town, Hocus Pocus, Twitches and Coraline. Halloween Town is for all the family to laugh about, as they enjoy the lovable ghouls, goblins, and witches of Halloween Town and follow the young Cromwell siblings in their quest to find the magical powers their mother has hidden from them. Another fun to watch family film is Hocus Pocus, which follows three witches who are up to no good, released by three curious teenagers who now have to find a way to stop them from becoming immortal. In Twitches, two young twin witches, who grew up separated in a non-magical world in order to protect them from an evil darkness that has taken over their magical country of Coventry, must join their powers to find their mother and save Coventry and the non-magical world before the darkness takes over everything.

Coraline, a claymation film, is a special family Halloween movie about a young girl who finds a door to an alternate universe in her home. She loves it there until her other mother and the rest of her family try to keep her there. She then has to find the courage to reach her true home again.

Whether you are a horror fanatic or a lighthearted movie lover, a Halloween movie awaits. Enjoy the spooky season.

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

Performing Arts

Midlo Show Choir Hosts Night of Stars

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

A & E

University of Richmond Hosts Chinese New Year Celebration

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

A & E

Surviving Valentine’s Day Without a Valentine

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

A & E

The Curious Incident Opens Eyes and Hearts

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

Performing Arts

2019 All-District Band

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

Performing Arts

Gracyn Graces the Stage

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

A & E

Midlo Theatre Creates a Human Kaleidoscope

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

Performing Arts

Rizzo Furthers Her Acting Journey

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

A & E

Midlo Students Earn All-District Chorus Recognition

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

Performing Arts

Curious Incident Premieres This Week!

Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks