Filed under A & E

Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

What to Watch During the Halloween Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

Carving pumpkins is the best way, besides movies and trick or treating, to celebrate Halloween.

Photo by: The B's

Photo by: The B's

Photo by: The B's

With Friday the 13th quickly creeping towards us, it’s time to break out the DVDs and the popcorn. What better time to watch scary movies than on one of the scariest days of the year? Unfortunately, picking just one movie to watch is practically impossible for movie lovers.

The go to favorite horror Halloween movies this year are: IT and Annabelle: Creation.  Viewers who like to be on the edge of their seats will love IT, which centers around a drain-dwelling clown who lures children into the sewers and turns them into demonic and horrifying creatures. Annabelle: Creation is much like IT because of the child focus of the movie. A possessed doll, a childhood toy that many of us have had in the past, creates the main focus of a horror film made with the intention to give viewers nightmares.

For the less daring, some classic lighthearted movies to watch with the family are: Halloween Town, Hocus Pocus, Twitches and Coraline. Halloween Town is for all the family to laugh about, as they enjoy the lovable ghouls, goblins, and witches of Halloween Town and follow the young Cromwell siblings in their quest to find the magical powers their mother has hidden from them. Another fun to watch family film is Hocus Pocus, which follows three witches who are up to no good, released by three curious teenagers who now have to find a way to stop them from becoming immortal. In Twitches, two young twin witches, who grew up separated in a non-magical world in order to protect them from an evil darkness that has taken over their magical country of Coventry, must join their powers to find their mother and save Coventry and the non-magical world before the darkness takes over everything.

Coraline, a claymation film, is a special family Halloween movie about a young girl who finds a door to an alternate universe in her home. She loves it there until her other mother and the rest of her family try to keep her there. She then has to find the courage to reach her true home again.

Whether you are a horror fanatic or a lighthearted movie lover, a Halloween movie awaits. Enjoy the spooky season.

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

A & E

Bottoms Up Pizza Pops With Flavor

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

A & E

Not After Everything Captivates Readers

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

A & E

A New Twist on Pizza

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

A & E

Boost Holiday Spirit with Yummy Flavors

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

A & E

Kings Dominion’s Winterfest Wows

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

A & E

Theater Department Announces Cast for the Winter Play

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

Visual Arts

An Honor for the Artists of Midlo

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

Performing Arts

The Wizard of Oz Sparkles

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

Visual Arts

A Modern Artist with Modern Techniques

• Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks

A & E

Auditions Begin Soon for the Winter Play!

Ghoulish Guide to Fangtastic Flicks