Out of the loop? Get the scoop!

Out of the loop? Get the scoop!

Out of the loop? Get the scoop!

Rho Kappa Collects Reading Materials for Children’s Museum Book Bank

The poster for the drive, made by Rho Kappa members

The Rho Kappa Honor Society ran a book drive at Midlo throughout the month of February in order to donate books to the Children’s Museum book bank.

By the time the drive ended on March 1, they had collected 203 books. The books collected will be donated to the book bank at the Children’s Museum, which has a program to distribute books to elementary school teachers who are in need of reading material for their students. 

The idea from the drive came from multiple students in Rho Kappa. “They came up with all kinds of different ideas, and I liked the book bank. A lot of them mentioned that,” Rho Kappa sponsor Jillana Hicks said. “All of us had gone to the Children’s Museum a lot when we were younger, and the book drive is something that they do every year, so we just thought it’d be cool to give back to them in that way,” Lilly Moidel, president of Rho Kappa, said. 

There were a wide range of book donations, students donating everything from “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom” to “It’s Trevor Noah”. Donations ranged from kindergarten-level reading material to fifth-grade level. The goal of the drive was to increase literacy among children. “It’s so important for kids at that age to be reading. That’s how we really learn, is through the reading process,” Hicks said.