Coronavirus Closings Bring Communities Together

2020 Coronavirus Pandemic

Photo by: Skylar West
Juniors, Skylar and Sebastian West, go on a family bike during the school closings.

In an effort to slow the spread of the recent outbreak of Coronavirus COVID-19, Virginia school buildings will close for the remainder of the school year. Although the Coronavirus has canceled many events and forced smaller groups, students have turned to spending more time at home with family and friends.  Throughout communities, families are bonding through family walks, hobbies, and outdoor adventures.  

Several families throughout Midlothian have turned to family walks and other outdoor activities to relieve their minds of the coronavirus.  One family, the Krasners, stated that they want to visit a new park every day. “I think it’s a great bonding experience,” said freshman Carson Krasner.  “It’s important for people to get outside, instead of just watching the news,” said Carson’s mother, Kelly. Another family, the Wests, stated that they would go on more family walks, go kayaking, and go on bike rides.  “It’s definitely nice because we have more time together,” said junior Skylar West.

Other students have decided to learn something new or carry on a new hobby.  Freshman Noelia McCaffery stated that she wanted to learn how to play the piano. “I’ve had a piano for a long time, but I’ve always been too busy to learn how to play it.  Since I’m home all the time now, there’s no excuse for me not to learn,” said McCaffery. Sophomore Emily Whickham shared that to keep her mind off of the pandemic, she would work on digital art.  “Since we are stuck at home, I’ve been using this time to increase my skills and try out new things. It’s a good distraction from the stress, [and] it brings a smile to my face,” said Whickham.

Several organizations, such as Winfree Baptist Church, plan to provide assistance to those who are self-isolating by providing groceries and other necessities.  Specific items, such as toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and medical protective equipment seem to be the top necessities, and communities are trying to lend a helping hand.  On a personal note, my dad went to Walmart last week to buy toilet paper but realized there was none left. He saw a man with toilet paper and asked where he had found it. When my dad went to the front, he found that the shelf also was empty.  He later saw the same man, who noticed that my dad hadn’t found any toilet paper, so he gave one of his packages to him, demonstrating true community spirit.

Although the Coronavirus recommends no gatherings of over 10 people, families and friends still try to get up and moving.  Some students have even started running together in small groups of three to four to make up for the sport practices that they would be missing.  “I’ve decided to still run even though school is out because I have to stay fit” said freshman Connor Reid. While students wait for the pandemic to pass, many resort to other activities and interests to pass the time before life goes back to normal.